Suspension sagging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I get the suspension differences. Its not my first rodeo but 400lbs should not make the *** end hang down especially with the extra payload. Fox is already having problems with failures and no warranty replacements until 2023 supposedly
What's your source for this FOX info? Does not sound correct.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
What the Raptor is designed to do is not the main point of this thread. If the payload is higher on the Gen3 and the OP is putting the same amount of weight that he had in a previous Gen, the question has been posed as to why it would be sagging more now than before. Logically, if the payload is higher, there should not be increased sagging. Unless it is engineered to look that way, but still handle the weight. 400 pounds is not too much to ask for.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had 3 gen 1’s and a gen2. Just got the gen 3. I have 400lbs of tool boxes in the back and it squats bad. The same boxes as what was in my gen1. Gen 3 payload is 150lbs more. Does anyone have the same issue
The progression rate is obviously different in the Gen 3, it really doesn't matter if the they are leafs or coils.
Like others have stated the Gen 3 feels softer in the rear, that's great, we all like softer for going over bumps.
But that will come with more sagging with the same weight in the bed.

You can go old school and get easy cheap fixes:
Add them in the top or bottom of the coil springs depending how you want the spring to behave.

Twist In Rear Coil Spacers:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029K21G/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Rubber Coil Boosters:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMBOFS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Coil Spring Adjustable Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029K20C/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Donut Style Spaces:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029K20W/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Last edited:

JCU Delt Ox

Reaction score
Here's what the Raptor 35 looks like with 650lbs of tongue weight. That's quite a bit of sag and representative of what it will look like with a properly loaded 5K-6.5K trailer without a weight distributing hitch. Depending on where your tools are, I could see a few inches of sag from 400lbs.PXL_20211121_130323455.jpg
PXL_20211121_130310037.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's what the Raptor 35 looks like with 650lbs of tongue weight. That's quite a bit of sag and representative of where it will look like with a properly loaded 5K-6.5K trailer without a weight distributing hitch. Depending on where your tools are, I could see a few inches of sag from 400lbs.View attachment 331964
View attachment 331965
Now if you had of measured how far to the bump stops, that would show how much travel is left. That might be concerning. Thanks for sharing those pics.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm gonna guess that the aftermarket is going to offer stiffer springs and painted pretty as well. Haven't heard of that yet though.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what the Raptor 35 looks like with 650lbs of tongue weight. That's quite a bit of sag and representative of what it will look like with a properly loaded 5K-6.5K trailer without a weight distributing hitch. Depending on where your tools are, I could see a few inches of sag from 400lbs.View attachment 331964
View attachment 331965
good stuff - if you are going to haul a lot with a Raptor the weight dis hitch is a must investment...

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gen 2 sagged with my 400 lbs loadout in the rear until I replaced the springs. I assume the Gen 3 will be no different. Exactly why I'm not jumping on the Gen 3 bandwagon yet. I'm waiting to let the bugs get sorted, new aftermarket products developed, mid-generational changes implemented, inventory to catch up, and below MSRP pricing to come back. I figure it'll be about 3 years...haha.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t dismiss the Raptor as non work truck. It IS!!! I use my 2020 for work, and I’m a contractor. Throw tools in it, haul a 6’x12’ trailer around with tools with no problem. Plenty of power and added bonus, when client sees me pull up in a Raptor they think “must be successful, I’ll hire him”. Well who knows but it doesn’t hurt using it for work.