Suspension sagging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Following as I am very interested in getting a Raptor as my next truck with most of the usage will to work, traveling, some of roading, but also once or twice a month hitting the lake with a 6500 lbs. boat and trailer as well as 2 or 3 times family trips with the boat. I'm curious of how the air lift 1000 air bags for coil springs would work.
Why would you need air bags? With a weight distribution hitch you can raise the back of the truck up and then lock the chains in place. I've hauled way more than that with my gen 1 scab.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... leafs are used because they are cheap... at least on the lighter duty trucks. Dodge/Ram has had coils on them for years. Coils can handle the load. Yes... I know... Raptor is not a work truck and I generally agree, but with the right coils you could make due.
Most of us buy Raptors to haul *** not tonage.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many of you will be putting a dirt bike in the back along with gear and extra gas when you go out to the dunes, camping, desert etc. that amount of sag is a bit much but I would hope this was all tested. I use mine for work but only carry roughly 200-250 lbs and my gen 2 sits about level most the time. thats why I never put a leveling kit. hope it is about the same when I get the gen 3. need the onboard generator main reason I am getting gen 3. portable ones just take up too much room and are too heavy.

ironpeddler

Reaction score
How tf are you supposed to be able to tow 8,200 lbs. When it is sagging that much already with a trailer hauling some pallets? Thinking inboard surf boat we be a no-go. And how can they have a 8,200 tow rating in the first place, surely they tested for this stuff. I feel like if you had 8,200 lbs. you would be rubbing the tires on the inner wheel wells.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The springs are progressive, which means they are soft at first and stiffen up with more travel. So you could probably put another 400 pounds on it and it wouldn't change much in comparison to the effect of the first 400 pounds.

The tow rating is generally a set of defined criteria based on vehicle controllability, mechanical limits, and safety. Not whether you look good doing it.

Also the 8,200 pounds is with a weight-distributing hitch.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How tf are you supposed to be able to tow 8,200 lbs. When it is sagging that much already with a trailer hauling some pallets? Thinking inboard surf boat we be a no-go. And how can they have a 8,200 tow rating in the first place, surely they tested for this stuff. I feel like if you had 8,200 lbs. you would be rubbing the tires on the inner wheel wells.
Well you don’t put 8200 lbs in the box of the truck, hopefully that load is on a dual axle trailer and you have it evenly distributed over the trailer axles, that way it’s only 5-600 lbs on your truck hitch and you can adjust that level with your weight distribution hitch. Most people don’t have a clue how to even adjust for added weight, etc. People should have to take a course on how to tow a trailer, from what I’ve seen in my travels.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The springs are progressive, which means they are soft at first and stiffen up with more travel. So you could probably put another 400 pounds on it and it wouldn't change much in comparison to the effect of the first 400 pounds.

The tow rating is generally a set of defined criteria based on vehicle controllability, mechanical limits, and safety. Not whether you look good doing it.

Also the 8,200 pounds is with a weight-distributing hitch.
excellant point about the springs.