Suspension mods for off-roading near payload capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They have to factor in price point and profitability. Just because it took them years to engineer it doesn’t mean it’s as good as it can be. It just means it’s good enough and meets their set price point. If they built these trucks as good as they can they would be 6 figures.

The stock leaf springs aren’t that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The reason that the design and engineering takes years is because it needs to not only meet or exceed performance intent, but also pass all OE durability requirements and federal safety testing. That includes calibrating every aspect of the system right down to the ABS and stability control algorithms to accommodate the suspension height and geometry changes as well as tire diameter. It’s the engineering, durability, and safety requirements that make up the majority of the time and cost, not the components themselves.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
The reason that the design and engineering takes years is because it needs to not only meet or exceed performance intent, but also pass all OE durability requirements and federal safety testing. That includes calibrating every aspect of the system right down to the ABS and stability control algorithms to accommodate the suspension height and geometry changes as well as tire diameter. It’s the engineering, durability, and safety requirements that make up the majority of the time and cost, not the components themselves.
Thanks , that’s what I gathered from that engineer’s walk around of the Gen3. I can’t change tire size etc w/o ******** up the algorithms and calibrations that have been set with all the components communicating.
Question for you Sir, once I have it loaded out with my EDC do I need to take it in to have ride height etc. Recalibrated? And exactly what do I need to ask them to do? Thank you in advance.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks , that’s what I gathered from that engineer’s walk around of the Gen3. I can’t change tire size etc w/o ******** up the algorithms and calibrations that have been set with all the components communicating.
Question for you Sir, once I have it loaded out with my EDC do I need to take it in to have ride height etc. Recalibrated? And exactly what do I need to ask them to do? Thank you in advance.

Nope, no need to have it calibrated. The system just needs to know where the truck rides unloaded; it will then adjust shock dampening as necessary based on the feedback from the ride height sensors. Also note that the rear ride height is inferred from the front; there are no sensors in the rear.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks FTO. A little tidbit I picked up Thursday at Raptor Assault was how Ford handled the ABS system. The ABS know what mode you're driving in and adapts accordingly. A comment from one of the instructors "In Baha mode the ABS system works in such a way to push dirt in front of the tire to assist stopping" .....and you can sure feel the difference. They had us practice panic stops in all modes and there is a major difference.