Suspected Transmission issue 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbryanh

Reaction score
I was about a 1/2 mile from my home last night. I made a right turn after stopping onto a fairly busy and windy road. The truck accelerated away from the stop without issue or hesitation but it seems as it shifted gear that nothing happened and I was rolling, like if driving a manual and you slip out of gear or drop the auto transmission into neutral. The engine was running, no lights or error codes lit on the dash. At first I suspected I bumped the gear lever into neutral but obviously I did not. I tried putting it in manual mode, neutral then drive again. Neutral then reverse, nothing. I could hear the sound of turning gears but no resultant activity. When I finally shifted to Park there was a loud grinding sound that continued even after shifting into park for a few seconds. I shut the truck off and repeated all the steps above and nothing. Finally in despair to get out of busy traffic I did try putting it in 4A, 2H, 4H with and without locking the diff in the appropriate modes and nothing. The truck got winched onto a flatbed hauler, would not move under its own power. The car was dropped off at my house and the tow truck driver put it in reverse to roll it off the flatbed and it was apparent that the gear engaged. Once off the truck on flat ground he put the Raptor in Drive and it creeped forward. I left it parked and called Ford Roadside to pick it up and take it to the dealer.
Anyone experience this or have any ideas as to what is wrong?
Truck is 7 weeks old, 3460 miles after an 1800 mile trip just this past week/weekend.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's of great concern as I am picking up my Gen 2 in Kansas City next week and then driving to Santa Barbara!
Plenty of Ford dealers along the way I hope.

OP
OP
jbryanh

jbryanh

Reaction score
That's of great concern as I am picking up my Gen 2 in Kansas City next week and then driving to Santa Barbara!
Plenty of Ford dealers along the way I hope.
Congrats, I’m really happy with the truck otherwise. I’ve never owned a vehicle with a major power train issue before...kinda bummed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jbryanh

jbryanh

Reaction score
I was about a 1/2 mile from my home last night. I made a right turn after stopping onto a fairly busy and windy road. The truck accelerated away from the stop without issue or hesitation but it seems as it shifted gear that nothing happened and I was rolling, like if driving a manual and you slip out of gear or drop the auto transmission into neutral. The engine was running, no lights or error codes lit on the dash. At first I suspected I bumped the gear lever into neutral but obviously I did not. I tried putting it in manual mode, neutral then drive again. Neutral then reverse, nothing. I could hear the sound of turning gears but no resultant activity. When I finally shifted to Park there was a loud grinding sound that continued even after shifting into park for a few seconds. I shut the truck off and repeated all the steps above and nothing. Finally in despair to get out of busy traffic I did try putting it in 4A, 2H, 4H with and without locking the diff in the appropriate modes and nothing. The truck got winched onto a flatbed hauler, would not move under its own power. The car was dropped off at my house and the tow truck driver put it in reverse to roll it off the flatbed and it was apparent that the gear engaged. Once off the truck on flat ground he put the Raptor in Drive and it creeped forward. I left it parked and called Ford Roadside to pick it up and take it to the dealer.
Anyone experience this or have any ideas as to what is wrong?
Truck is 7 weeks old, 3460 miles after an 1800 mile trip just this past week/weekend.
There has been no real activity on this post but I thought I’d post what ended up happening- I was told the transfer case broke. Replaced under warranty. Truck has been running fine since the repair, now about 600 miles later.

Last edited:

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been no real activity on this post but I thought I’d post what ended up happening- I was told the differential broke. Replaced under warranty. Truck has been running fine since the repair, now about 600 miles later.

what broke in the differential? Did they have photos of anything or have you picked it up yet?