Surprising issue after Icon leaf springs install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed new Icon leaf springs on my 2019 Raptor. Retained the factory shackle and went with option 1 (softest) for now but do plan to go option 2 in the future. The issue I’m having is a metallic “clack” sound on big bumps. While I was underneath ruling out loose parts, such as the spare tire, I noticed scars on the exhaust pipes. Not sure if it was from the install, I then sprayed over the spots with primer and drove another day. At home I noticed fresh scratches in the same spots and so I jacked up the truck to see if I’m in fact getting contact with the pipes. Apparently yes the leaf springs (specifically the bracket which cradles the leaf pack) are making contact when the suspension droops. These pictures show full droop.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Did I do something wrong with the install?

I don’t know what to think about this. Maybe a 1” lowering shackle might solve this(?)

IMG_2407.jpg IMG_2410.jpg IMG_2411.jpg IMG_2412.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

Haven’t seen it but I would think if you go with option 2, it might enough of a difference. And yes +2 shackles would help too

Iziks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had same issue with my Gen 1 and Icon springs. I simply did a turn down on the exhaust at the axle.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine on option 2 with factory shackles and about 150lb in back. Rode mine pretty hard for a little bit Sunday and power washed it today. Went to check just now here is mine. Passenger side 1st pic

20201110_183043.jpg

20201110_183110.jpg

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...new development. I have corrected some of the exhaust interference by loosening the clamps and rotating the pipes a little. They will still rub at full droop, but no scuffs after aggressively hitting neighborhood speed bumps. However, that out of the way I'm STILL getting the metallic clackety sounds going over those speed bumps. Its almost as if I can hear the individual leafs slapping each other; but I might be overthinking it. Hopefully someone knows whats going on here. I installed the packs as-shipped other than I sprayed them thoroughly with Amsoil Metal Protector HD for a couple days before installation.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok...new development. I have corrected some of the exhaust interference by loosening the clamps and rotating the pipes a little. They will still rub at full droop, but no scuffs after aggressively hitting neighborhood speed bumps. However, that out of the way I'm STILL getting the metallic clackety sounds going over those speed bumps. Its almost as if I can hear the individual leafs slapping each other; but I might be overthinking it. Hopefully someone knows whats going on here. I installed the packs as-shipped other than I sprayed them thoroughly with Amsoil Metal Protector HD for a couple days before installation.
Do you have a bump stop kit back there?

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couple things I would question from your pics.

-recheck your u bolts I don’t see any threads hanging out of those nuts.
-your leaf pack “clamp” has a lot of space between the bolt and the top leaf. So your suspicion of the leafs clapping may be it.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things I would question from your pics.

-recheck your u bolts I don’t see any threads hanging out of those nuts.
-your leaf pack “clamp” has a lot of space between the bolt and the top leaf. So your suspicion of the leafs clapping may be it.

Theres a ton of thread hanging down from the U-bolts but with black paint they didnt show in the pic.
You are correct about the leaf pack clamp...there is significant space between the bolt and the top leaf. Was I supposed to substitute something there?