Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Supercharger or not?

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by Andrrw, Sep 14, 2020.

1. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

That depends on the tuner, to suggest that is the best option is simply foolish, lots of shitty tuners out there.

vegascarnut, B E N and MTF like this.
  2. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

You still on that miss information, stop it already.

CoronaRaptor and B E N like this.
  3. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

This isn't a tune issue. Its likely a vacuum leak or install issue. Make sure there are no hoses dangling free, make sure the throttle body is torqued properly, make sure all of your intake piping is tight (give it a good wiggle, see if it falls apart), tighten any loose hose clamps.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  4. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

Incorrect.

MTF and CoronaRaptor like this.
  5. W0n70n

W0n70n Member

I was having what felt like tuning issues and the motor would occasionally stall and die shifting from reverse to drive or vice-versa and I ended up finding out that there was a small amount of air leaking past the maf sensor and I reset the adaptive tables to the transmission in conjunction with a trans filter/fluid replacement and the truck is completely different than it was, I couldn't be happier. One thing to mention that I hope is an isolated incident with the whipple kit is the adjustable idler pulley from the whipple kit's bolt is too long and bottoms out against the alternator bracket before it is actually tight and it caused the pulley to wobble under hard throttle and it kicked the belt. I had to pull it, measure a bunch of times and grind it down to get it to tighten correctly without bottoming out and it solved a grinding sound and belt issues all at the same time.

mindgame100 and MTF like this.
  6. letsgetthisdone

letsgetthisdone Full Access Member

Email tunes are not "best guess tunes". The raptor ECU provides all the data needed for a proper tune without a dyno.

The only downside to street/email tuning is that you will likely be speeding to complete WOT data logs.

What you are saying is simply factually incorrect.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  7. vegascarnut

vegascarnut Full Access Member

This is just wrong, 100%. No one has tuned more of these than JDM. Plus, I’ve driven several tunes on mine—one dyno, one from another shop and JDM. JDM rocks, and it’s more than the engine tune—transmission shift points, line pressure, lockup settings. It all matters, and they have it down. Want it tweaked? Send them your data log and they will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BoostedToy

BoostedToy Full Access Member

Agreed with these past posts regarding email tunes. I’d argue aside from likely speeding, the real/street data logging provides a more accurate loading for the tune. Provided the tuner is good, this should be no different than my previous tuner doing the initial tune on the dyno and “dialing it in” on the street.

W0n70n, MTF and vegascarnut like this.
  9. Andrrw

Andrrw Member

These reply’s are amazing. Turns out there was an issue with downloading the tune from Whipple. Not their mistake. My techs mistake. He accidentally loaded a tune that came with the tuner. Whipple engineers are working with the shop to figure it out. I am hoping they work together tomorrow to figure it out. If not I feel like it may wait until next week. Thank you all for the reply’s. The stage two kit did come with 60# injectors and larger throttle body and heat exchanger with dual fans. The shop does mostly Whipple installs on Mustangs and they work with Lund for programming on them. Lund will not program a Raptor with a Whipple supercharger. Found that out today as well. Seems like once I get the correct tune in place from Whipple it should be ok. Does it usually work in the first tune they send over or will we need to go back and forth with info to dial it in?

B E N and MTF like this.
  10. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Every build and/or vehicle is different, elevations and fuel are different so it may need tweaking to your liking.
    Also the new Gen 4 compressor and the Whipple Twin 68mm TB requires a more refined Ford engineered calibration strategy with normalizing.
    More than the old Tunes that are floating around for Tuners to edit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Andrrw likes this.