Supercharger or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrrw

Reaction score
I have a Gen 1 2010 Raptor in mint condition. Just turned 66k. I am considering a Whipple supercharger stage 2 kit complete with everything it comes with. I would like advice fron people that did this or have experience with supercharging these vehicles to the cons or any issues I will encounter. Please let me know what you all think. It will be my daily driver for a few more years so I need reliability but would like more power. Thanks in advance for any advice! Base on replies I will order it this week.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I supercharged my 2012 at 50K miles and have had no regrets. It's a different beast. Couple things. Make sure to upgrade your oil pump. Also (your results may vary here) my stock exhaust couldn't handle it. I blew one cat and cracked two exhaust manifolds before biting the bullet and going to a full exhaust system. Others have had better luck.

You're mpg is going to go down, mostly because it's pretty impossible to lay off of the skinny pedal.

I do a fair amount of towing a toyhauler camper up the Rocky Mountains. I originally had to upgrade the tranny cooling (not due to the supercharger), but now I have to watch my engine temps. I have enough power that it can start heating up during long nasty uphill pulls if I don't chill out. I'm probably going to upgrade the radiator soon.

No real issues to speak of other than that.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @EricM & @Dane said..! And will add....you will need to come up with a good excuse when people ask why your grinning all the time..!
I have the Whipple on my 2014 Shelby...it was sent straight from Dealer to Shelby in Vegas to get worked over and they did all that @Dane said as the Package...its got 62K on it now and no problems with Supercharger yet...it is also mostly a Highway Queen,have never really abused it or towed with it....only major problem I've had is the Pinion Gear went out last month so had the Differential rebuilt....maybe from stepping on that skinny Pedal too much...the sound and speed is addictive,and my GF knows if I'm behind someone more than 15 seconds,she needs to get ready to have her neck snapped...:eek:
Are you installing yourself?
I know my way around wrenches and use to rebuild Diesel Engines but doing that SC just wasnt for me...yeah,its $$ to have it done,but your talking about $10K in equipment...you do it and screw up,your screwed,cause they always find a way to blame you.....they do it and at least you have some warranty .... just my personal preference,less worry,and more time to GRIN.
Good luck,but you knew before you even posted you were going to get one...!:anitoof:;)

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do it. I may do it a second time on another truck.

It definitely makes the truck feel new.

If the tune is good, and you're not an idiot(revving to the rev limiter/wheelhopping) the truck will last with a supercharger for a long time*
My father has supercharged trucks as his D.D.s for over 20 years. Most have hit 200k miles and are still being used in some fashion.

*As long as there was no underlying issue prior to boost.

OP
OP
A

Andrrw

Reaction score
I supercharged my 2012 at 50K miles and have had no regrets. It's a different beast. Couple things. Make sure to upgrade your oil pump. Also (your results may vary here) my stock exhaust couldn't handle it. I blew one cat and cracked two exhaust manifolds before biting the bullet and going to a full exhaust system. Others have had better luck.

You're mpg is going to go down, mostly because it's pretty impossible to lay off of the skinny pedal.

I do a fair amount of towing a toyhauler camper up the Rocky Mountains. I originally had to upgrade the tranny cooling (not due to the supercharger), but now I have to watch my engine temps. I have enough power that it can start heating up during long nasty uphill pulls if I don't chill out. I'm probably going to upgrade the radiator soon.

No real issues to speak of other than that.

Thank you! What oil pump do you suggest?

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cobbled together a Roush system built around a take-off supercharger from a 1 season ski boat. Some of the parts were purchased new from Roush, except for the blower, injectors, fuel rails, some pulleys, etc. which were just lightly used. Bought quite a few new parts I needed on eBay cheap. I'm running a stock exhaust, stock oil pump gears, 75mm pulley. If you have a good tune (JDM) don't crush your throttle from stoplights or hammer on/off the throttle a lot when wheeling, you shouldn't have to worry about the oil pump gears unless you're making stupid power, which I'm not. So far so good.

I upgraded my transmission cooler recently, and also added water/methanol injection as a safeguard.

Installed at 60k miles, which was a few months ago. Love it so far. If you are good with wrenches, and patient, don't be afraid to do it yourself. My total cost was under $5k, including plugs, tune, etc.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! What oil pump do you suggest?
I went with the Melling pump - part# 10397-BR

Some are leaving the stock one, but since I went to the 69mm pulley I wasn't going to take the gamble - though I did gamble for a while with the 75mm. In hindsight I would have just done it all at once. You have to pull the whole supercharger off to put the new pump in anyway. If that pump goes it's taking your motor with it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's nice. Didn't know they made on for the 6.2L. The billet housing is nice an upgrade from the stock cast unit. The stock castings been know to flex at higher pressures, which of course can cause issues with the gears rotating within.