Supercharger on a high mileage Raptor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blacktor

Reaction score
Gen 4 whipple kit owner here. Hindsight 20/20, I would save up and do the shortblock and supercharger at the same time. Granted I had my kit pulleyed beyond the standard "stage 2", but it sent a rod through the block and destroyed the ENTIRE motor. Bottom end, top end AND THE SUPERCHARGER. It would have cost less to do it correctly the first time. Just a higher cost of admission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the main point is that there’s a decent chance that the engine will hold up depending on what upgrades and maintenance you do beyond the base supercharger. However, you’ve got to be prepared to blow up an engine and pay the bill to fix it or move on. There’s guys that have over 100k miles on their supercharger. There’s others that have blown their engine almost immediately after install. A lot will have to do with the tune and how you drive the truck. If your expectation is to do frequent 4x4 launches or to spend large amounts of time at higher RPM such as in the dunes then you’re likely gonna find a weak link sooner rather than later whether it’s the engine, rear pinion bearings, driveshaft, CV’s, transfer case, transmission, or whatever.

Despite my suspension upgrades etc., the majority of my driving is an 88 mile round trip highway commute. The majority of my WOT acceleration is from a roll or otherwise at highway speeds. I’m not putting nearly as much shock load, heat, etc. into my powertrain relative to others who are flogging their truck offroad all the time or otherwise hooning around constantly.

I keep an eye on coolant temps etc. and go easy on things until the vehicle is warmed up. The thing about a daily driver vs. a dedicated offroad vehicle is that you have to have a lot more mechanical sympathy if you’re not OK with having the vehicle down for an extended period waiting for parts and the associated invoice.

My overall approach was to research what broke or failed for both stock and supercharged engines and to proactively replace or upgrade those components as part of the supercharger install. I’m also running a JDM kit and am confident in their track record as long as I remember I’m not driving a six-figure luxury prerunner.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non-Raptor guy chiming in… I’ve a 2016 EL Expedition with a tune, and Full Race Freak-O-Beast kit installed. I come here for the cool horsepower mod ideas because our forum isn’t as cool in the “add-on power” arena. Don’t tell them I said that!!!
I’ve got approximately 179k on mine. The last time I went in to have my tune adjusted for the Full Race mod at Elite Performance and Tune in Littleton, CO the tuner (Eddie) told me I had a high ceiling for power, BUT he wasn’t going anywhere close to it because of the miles. I agreed… though seeing how 390hp & 603lbs Per/Ft at the rear wheels gets me moving I often wonder what else is left. Though playing it safe is much smarter. After reading through the posts I would describe my driving habits similar to most of the ones I read here.
Next thing on the list is my appointment with Brian (FordTechMakuloco) at BSG to do my timing chain, all that comes with that service, and walnut blasting of my valves. I will report back on the overall condition of the valves as I am curious of their current state… seeing as how I’ve done two seperate treatments of the CRC GDI cleaning solvent, and regular addition of fuel system cleaning at oil change intervals. I usually use Seafoam, or Berryman’s, first. Then the following tank I follow up with Marvel Mystery Oil. I know the first generation EcoBoost is a DI engine and the cleaners don’t go over the back of the valves… I know this. Was just wondering it it were possible that the combustion process may allow a small amount of the chemical concentration to reach the back of the valve during its cycle of through vaporization. Probably not a lot, if any at all.

At least I’m smart enough to get the service done and not rely on that wishful thinking above. Just curious… sure he’ll let me know what he finds. Maybe he’ll feature my vehicle in one of his videos!!! That would be cool!!!

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ellison3 Now, I’m gonna be waiting to see a certain EL Expedition video drop on YouTube. I’m sure it’ll be less scary than his aftermath teardown videos or evaluation of hack jobs from other shops.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had somewhat similar thoughts...
I have 166+k miles and as much as I enjoy the old worn out truck, cranking it up sounds awesome.
Runs great, daily driver, and doesn't show any issues.
I stepped back a little after looking at prices for the superchargers and reminded myself that is close to what I have laid out for the truck.
As inviting as it seems (and FUN) I just can't justify taking the chance.
The cheapest options still get me half way close to another new boat or toy.
BUT I gotta admit it sure is a heck of a draw.
Good luck and enjoy if you pull the trigger and do it.
I could see getting talked into it pretty easy another 50% motor would really light things up:)

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI. Whipple is offering 10% off through Labor Day. That’s the first discount of any kind from them in around a year. Saw it advertised on Team Beefcake Racing’s site.

Biltx77

Reaction score
2011 with whipple stage 2, installed at around 80k miles. Currently has 235,000mi. Routine maintenance, new plugs. Change out the sc oil. Still has the whipple tune. Daily driver. Tows my toy hauler up and down the mountains like it's not even there. It's an absolute beast in the desert and the sound of the supercharger is unlike anything else.

Roland61

Reaction score
I would think putting a SC on that old of an engine and with 175,000 miles would be a death threat to the truck. You say it runs great and is your daily driver why push it. Have you checked into Raptors here that had engine failures and what they have gone thru to get them back on the road again?
Hi there. I rarely post, but when I do I get some very helpful replies. I have an 2011 with 175,000 miles on the odometer. This truck really runs great with a SCT bdx tuner w/ custom tune, Banks monster exhaust and banks ram air CAI, MSD coils and wires and changed out trans fluid and filter and put amsoil in the motor. This truck is my only ride and a daily driver and runs really strong! I’m wondering if anyone on here has put a supercharger on a high mileage Raptor and has put some miles on it and is still running great?? If so…. Which one is recommended and do you have any regrets??? I know it varies from motor to motor, but would you all just recommend me staying away from forced induction with the high mileage?? Sorry for the long post of questions in advance. Tim in Colorado Springs
How did it go, have you supercharged your Raptor? I’ve got a 2010 Raptor 141k thinking of doing the same. I’m in the process of doing a full refurbishment with new wheels/tires, new leather seats etc., and some replacement panels. Looking to repaint as my stage three of my project.