Supercharger on a high mileage Raptor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xturbohemi

Reaction score
Hi there. I rarely post, but when I do I get some very helpful replies. I have an 2011 with 175,000 miles on the odometer. This truck really runs great with a SCT bdx tuner w/ custom tune, Banks monster exhaust and banks ram air CAI, MSD coils and wires and changed out trans fluid and filter and put amsoil in the motor. This truck is my only ride and a daily driver and runs really strong! I’m wondering if anyone on here has put a supercharger on a high mileage Raptor and has put some miles on it and is still running great?? If so…. Which one is recommended and do you have any regrets??? I know it varies from motor to motor, but would you all just recommend me staying away from forced induction with the high mileage?? Sorry for the long post of questions in advance. Tim in Colorado Springs

Attachments

• 3D809AC6-9842-431D-A495-CE519BB739AC.jpeg
    3D809AC6-9842-431D-A495-CE519BB739AC.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 19
  • A473B171-8AA3-417E-A993-ADCA7D0FE631.jpeg
    A473B171-8AA3-417E-A993-ADCA7D0FE631.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 20

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 Roush Stage II was been supercharged since day one. It now has 159,000 miles and has had no engine/transmission/transfer case/differential issues. Most of the miles are highway and I don’t abuse the truck. That said, with 600hp, driving it like a fuel miser 100 percent of the time makes no sense. I do go WOT occasionally (typically from a roll in 2nd gear, first gear is useless unless in 4wd High).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend adding forced induction to any stock N/A engine, especially not when it’s your only vehicle/daily driver. There are just far too many failure modes that can occur, even on low mileage engines.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 Roush Stage II was been supercharged since day one. It now has 159,000 miles and has had no engine/transmission/transfer case/differential issues. Most of the miles are highway and I don’t abuse the truck. That said, with 600hp, driving it like a fuel miser 100 percent of the time makes no sense. I do go WOT occasionally (typically from a roll in 2nd gear, first gear is useless unless in 4wd High).
That’s good to hear. I bought a used 2013 Roush that currently has 68k. My driving habits sound similar to yours so hopefully I have the same results.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Gen 4 Whipple and Stainless Works headers went on at around 120k miles on my 2011. Anything I’ve replaced since then has been normal maintenance wear and tear items such as the radiator cap, canister purge valve, an axle seal, and rear brakes

As part of the install, I had an upgraded oil pump with billet gears installed along with a new timing set (chains, crank sprocket, guides, and tensioners). I also had the belt tensioner replaced along with the alternator. These are all either items that are harder to replace after the supercharger install or items that made sense to replace since they were already exposed based on related R&R labor. Almost forgot. I also had PAC Racing valve springs, shims, and retainers from @Cody Dawson put in to address the potential of the factory valve springs breaking and worst case dropping a valve.

You don’t necessarily have to replace any of those items if you’ve done proper maintenance, but it is good piece of mind and the oil pump and gears are good insurance in case you get some wheel hop or similar and don’t get out of it immediately.

Now, I’m actually looking at getting a new daily at some point once prices aren’t insane for everything. It’s not because of any mechanical issues, but because I don’t think I can get myself to stop modifying the truck even further since the Whipple has so much headroom relative to the engine. It would be nice to be able to drop the truck off somewhere if I do decide on further work and just forget about it without stressing about parts availability and other timing factors.

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How long as the, ahemm, "cold air intake" been on there? Long enough to dust your motor? Valves and rings could barely holding up by this point and adding a huffer may finish them.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How long as the, ahemm, "cold air intake" been on there? Long enough to dust your motor? Valves and rings could barely holding up by this point and adding a huffer may finish them.
Interestingly enough. A couple people have ingested dust because of the seal of the resonator to the throttle body.

First one that comes to mind was a HM built terrain gen 1. I’m blanking on his name……….

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I would think putting a SC on that old of an engine and with 175,000 miles would be a death threat to the truck. You say it runs great and is your daily driver why push it. Have you checked into Raptors here that had engine failures and what they have gone thru to get them back on the road again?