Supercharge the 6.2 or save money for 2017 Raptor?

6.2L supercharged or save for the 2017 raptor

• Supercharged it

Votes: 99 73.9%
  • Wait for the 2017

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • keep it stock and keep it forever

Votes: 14 10.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jokerz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think a supercharger is reliable as NA? I mean I use my truck for everything and want to drive it a LONG time, how is the 6.2 for holding up to a supercharger? How about COLD winters? Any considerations for longevity to the supercharger itself? What would be the highest milage Raptor with a blower on it the whole time you've seen?

Thanks!

You want longevity

Tvs

You want power

Whipple

Rebuild a Whipple $500+ in parts plus labor

Rebuild a tvs $500 including parts and includes labor.

This is based on all the blowers I have worked on. Not sold but worked on. Physically taken apart and rebuilt to working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you think a supercharger is reliable as NA? I mean I use my truck for everything and want to drive it a LONG time, how is the 6.2 for holding up to a supercharger? How about COLD winters? Any considerations for longevity to the supercharger itself? What would be the highest milage Raptor with a blower on it the whole time you've seen?

Thanks!

im on the fence on buying whippled rapper , the above questions are also mine. I drive mine 365/year in COLD weather

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im on the fence on buying whippled rapper , the above questions are also mine. I drive mine 365/year in COLD weather
Overall the 2017/2018 wins to me.
Yes creature comforts in cold weather are nice:
1. Heated steering wheel option.
2. Heated rear seats option.
3. Better Remote start and better controls of heated seat w/remote start.
Sure on the above one could upgrade the above on an older model.
Other on stock vs. stock
1. Much better power on the new one, it's just fast and does it so easily.
2. Much better towing on the new one.
3. Tire pressure display on the screen.
4. A few more Aux switches available, if you use them.
5. Personally while the V8 sound and loudness can be cool at times, but IMO overall once you've driven a quiet vehicle with lots of power...the added engine and exhaust noise gets old. While once in awhile I miss it, say you want to get the attention of someone/show off the sound..I like it better quieter. Not sure how much louder a supercharger would make it.
The new one is just so much fun to drive, both on and off road. I will say though I have yet to drive a Supercharged Raptor, would love to and then could give a better comparison.

dsfife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned both trucks and honestly I think they are completely different, the way they drive and feel going down the road.

I honestly think it is hard to compare them they are not the same truck even though they are both called Raptor.

7788_zps4mdiv5km.jpg

20171013_203659_zpsk73lryqc.jpg

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I initially went through this thought with my gen 1 then once I figured out cost to supercharge and upgrade shocks along with the fact they add nothing to resale the decision was easy to get a gen 2 and I’m so glad I did. Way more powerful and smoother than my gen 1 was and a more luxurious truck/ride as well on the road

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are all opinions about the trucks. The fact is every year is better that the previous one. 11 better than 10, 12 better than 13 and so on. New vehicles have more and better technology.
If you can some how justify that the sound of the gen 1 makes it better than the gen 2 is the only reason.
I had one of the first a 5.4L Scab10 and a 6.2L Screw 12 now a Scab 18 and the 18 is leaps and bounds better than the older ones.
As I said if the sound makes the gen 1 better then stick with a gen 1. :)

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are all opinions about the trucks. The fact is every year is better...

And these opinions are all on a thread/poll that up until about 10 days ago had been dead for about 20 months.

Went from a 2011 to a 2018 and can't believe how much better everything is...except maybe some electronic annoyances. But my Forscan equipment arrives Monday. :)

OP
OP
8WOOD

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thread is alive again! I bought a gen 2 FYI. WAY BETTER than gen 1. Especially for off-roading. I'll never look back.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When your 2017 or 2018 is 7 years old, I'll come back and revisit your opinion.

I mean come on, any new vehicle is going to feel better than your old one. That doesn't make it better!
If you replace all your shocks, front end parts, springs, new tires. you'll get the same results.