Suntek Clear Protective Wrap -- Not as desired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Oldham

Reaction score
Hi,

To preempt this let me say maybe I am **** about things. I am a designer of car parts and have displayed and been going to SEMA for 20 years.

My 18 Raptor has about 6000 miles on it, and I had the Suntek Clear put on at maybe 4000 miles. The paint was perfect when it was put on, no chips flaw or anything.

I had the hood, front end, A pillars, front fenders, mirrors and side panels between the windows done. The front end facing was to protect against rock chips and crap and the area between the doors I had seen way to many scratched up ones.

I took my son on a 3 hour trip to a basketball tournament. Ran into a bunch of love bugs on the way. The next week when I got back it pretty much rained all week. That weekend I took it to my shop and decided to clean it up, put some wax on the truck etc..

Well is this how the clear is suppose to look? If so I would have never done this, I would have just taken it and had the front hit with a ceramic clear!!!! The bugs have left permanent marks in the wrap and it seems to be curling, overhang and bubbles here and there, not too good looking at all!
RAPTOR1.jpg
RAPTOR2.jpg
RAPTOR3.jpg
RAPTOR4.jpg
RAPTOR5.jpg
RAPTOR6.jpg
RAPTOR7.jpg
RAPTOR8.jpg
RAPTOR9.jpg
RAPTOR10.jpg
RAPTOR11.jpg
RAPTOR12.jpg
RAPTOR13.jpg
RAPTOR14.jpg
RAPTOR15.jpg
RAPTOR16.jpg

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you paid an arm and a leg for that. I'd be disappointed also. Maybe ask them if they can fix it? Will have to totally redo almost every panel, I'm sure.

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
I agree with Wolfeman, take it back to the installer and make them fix it. I priced that for mine as well and it is not cheap at all.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that happen to mine on the edges from mud and dirt and the installer honored the warranty (mine had 10 year) and they trimmed a few places and replaced a few sections. The wavyness is supposed to fix itself with sun heat I have had that on mine and seen it dissapear after a hot day but if it doesnt I'm sure they will honor the warranty.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Xpel on mine and I have a little lift on the curvature over the wheel trim piece. Installer said no problem, he will take care of it.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an installation issue. Very poor install.

On the Love Bug aspect, they suck big time and you always need to be careful during season. Their little guts are terribly corrosive!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Oldham

Reaction score
Just seems odd the bugs etched it. Was not like I left them on there for weeks, it was days and not even sunny. I did not post all the pics of where it was coming up, just most of them. yes it was $1800. If I was to do it again I would go and do a ceramic clearcoat on the hood and bumpers. I do not like seeing the edges of the wrap everywhere, it just looks cheap.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same done now with expel. I removed the front fender flares so there will be no edges to peel back on that part anyway. I would really be upset if I saw any of that. They may have used too much soap which did not let the edges get full adhesion perhaps.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a poor install, I would demand a full refund and go somewhere else. Those patterns are way off and the installer lacks experience. I bet that film is not even suntek. I have suntek c on 2 of my cars and bug shit and scratches come off with ease. I have suntek ultra c and matte on my Raptor and its perfect. On a scale of 1-10, I rate that install a 0. Poor prep, no sealed edges, pattern are shit, corners wrapped that shouldn't be due to complex curves, stretch marks in film due to improper squeege technique and wrong slip solution to say the least. I hope he used patterns and didn't cut on your paint.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
agree with above. you have a crappy install. those edges should never look like that at all.

in regards to the marks left in the product...I can't comment....I just know love bugs suck, but don't know how your product is supposed to hold up to them.

Good luck.