Sunroof....take it or leave it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olan025

Reaction score
Bought 18 with it and love it Knowing there could be issues. I did have the plastic track start rattling and took it into dealer who warranty replaced known issues with the 17/18s having plastic parts. Hasn’t rattled since.

I’d avoid it if you didn’t love it. I love having it for the rare summer sunny days in MN.

Angelo1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought 18 with it and love it Knowing there could be issues. I did have the plastic track start rattling and took it into dealer who warranty replaced known issues with the 17/18s having plastic parts. Hasn’t rattled since.

I’d avoid it if you didn’t love it. I love having it for the rare summer sunny days in MN.

I have a place in St. Paul. Where do you take your Raptor for off-roading?

Snowfly

Reaction score
Love mine. Don’t open the glass but generally leave shade open. Reminds me of Montana, Big Sky Country

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy’s 2014 F150 has the moonroof. A couple years back we were on an empty highway at 80 mph and it shattered out of nowhere. The guys at the dealership told me it was a common occurrence. Hard pass for me.

Justin Hughes

Reaction score
Had a 2015 Platinum with it and had it fully replaced three times in 60k miles. Twice was because the rattling got so bad the front glass came loose and the third time was because the drain clogged and overflowed into my A-pillar causing damage to speakers and glovebox. My 2018 Raptor with 13k miles is on its second sunroof which already needs repaired due to endless rattling. Skip the panoramic roof...

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had same dilemma wound up going w/ a roof b/c it was near impossible to find a SCREW optioned the way I wanted w/o one.

It’s a nice feature. Really brightens up an otherwise dark interior. Kids loved it. Knowing there had been issues (esp on earlier f150s I think 15+ may be a tad better) I just made it part of my maintenance routine 2-3x a year I vac up any loose leaves/debris if any, clean the panel seals (metal part of roof that mates to weather stripping on glass panel gets rubbing alcohol, weatherseal gets good coat of krytox grease) then relube the hinges/moving parts & tracks lightly w/ white lithium grease initially then I asked service dept for some of the blue stuff they use)

Also- I always “pop” vent it first before using the sliding function for the first time after any lengthy period of being closed.

I use mine regularly even in winter & in some dusty conditions, have 16k miles haven’t had issue yet.

Depends if you’re gonna use it a lot & willing to do a lil preventative maintenance - I think it’s a feature worth having. I def think you’re more apt to have an issue if you don’t give it a lil TLC occasionally.

Lastly- the drain channels for the sunroof & a pillar or whatever probably should be cleaned & is even ask the dealer to make sure they were cleaned/inspected b/c even new vehicles have had instances where the drain tube was linked or not fully attached @ one end causing leaks- you’d know quickly if this was the case in most instances, but not all.

If I was custom ordering one next time I’d be 50/50 on the fence whether to get it & will all depend how this one holds up longer term.

That being said- if there was an option between a “basic” sunroof & this panoramic version or no sunroof at all I’d def opt for the “basic”.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE