Sunroof....take it or leave it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Boone

Reaction score
Gonna buy a new Raptor, and everyone I'm finding with the stuff I want on it has the sunroof. I don't think I'll use it (don't use the one in my car), and I think it adds the potential for leaks. If you have one please let me know if you would pay for one with it again - and why :)

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love it.

our 2014 Explorer Sport had the pano sunroof...no issues over 5 years and 100,000 miles. So we got it in our 2018 Explorer Sport.

When I was looking for my truck, pano roof was always checked when searching for Raptor inventory.

my .02¢ anyway

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Skip it. It is a failure potential and if you aren’t going to use it leave the roof solid. Anyway, my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^^
This.

Use your internet search engine of choice for “F150 moonroof track”, “F150 moonroof stuck” and various iterations of this search.

Marvel at the number of unique reports of this failure. Cast your eyes upon the non-warranty cost to repair this failure. Watch the numerous youtube videos documenting the rather daunting DIY procedure.

There are a few reasons why you’re finding the moonroof everywhere under the sun.

I’m not sure of the correct term or acronym, but for the sake of this discussion, we will call the dealer trucks RPO ; regular production order. These vehicles are overwhelmingly the top tier, spec’d out with every option or 95th percentile worth of options. They use them to wow customers and make easier and more sales. Of course, the visually impressive dual panel moon roof is an easy add and a money maker.

I was ambivalent about the moonroof, I’ve had 2 of them before, both had problems. To be fair, the 1st one was one of the ’80’s pop up style, it leaked but ... it was the ’80’s. ;-) I have had 2 more since, ’06 Subaru- busted at the range, required tools to get closed. ’17 Raptor, broken track, managed to get it closed after several attempts.

I use them periodically, not when it’s super hot obviously, but sometimes nice to have the extra air flow.

So I’ve had trouble with 100% of the sunroof/moonroof vehicles I’ve had, and honestly, I’m over them.

Next time, no moon roof.

Reaction score
Ordered without the sunroof, don't miss it, would skip it again. Most of the dealer inventory I found was padded with options, so if you are dead-set against a sunroof you will likely need to order.

Rptrchk

Raptor Addict
Reaction score
I ordered my '17 with a moonroof and open it ALOT! No issues after 38k miles. Although, it's a Scab, so I just have the single, not the double pano roof. #my2cents