Sunroof Leak Solved! (Sorta)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

datnut

Reaction score
Np pics but, could get some. You have to open the sunroof and stick your head up in there to see very well.

Can't say why they do what they do but, I don't think foam as a material is the issue; The issue is that the foam is glued to the outside of the drip rail/frame. If it was located to the inside of the lip it would be more reliable.

It was dripping thru the gap on the foam where the glue came loose.

I essentially sealed the entire area above the plastic frame to the sheet metal roof. putting a coating of sealant over the foam. Mostly because it's difficult to control caulk flow in the area your working in. All you really need to accomplish is to seal the transition from top of plastic drip rail/frame to exposed foam gasket. If water was able to build to a level high enough to reach the top of he foam it would already pouring over the inside edge of the drip rail/frame (opening of sunroof)

BTW (Hope I don't jinx myself) I'm still dry and happy.

drewsak

Reaction score
Np pics but, could get some. You have to open the sunroof and stick your head up in there to see very well.

Can't say why they do what they do but, I don't think foam as a material is the issue; The issue is that the foam is glued to the outside of the drip rail/frame. If it was located to the inside of the lip it would be more reliable.

It was dripping thru the gap on the foam where the glue came loose.

I essentially sealed the entire area above the plastic frame to the sheet metal roof. putting a coating of sealant over the foam. Mostly because it's difficult to control caulk flow in the area your working in. All you really need to accomplish is to seal the transition from top of plastic drip rail/frame to exposed foam gasket. If water was able to build to a level high enough to reach the top of he foam it would already pouring over the inside edge of the drip rail/frame (opening of sunroof)

BTW (Hope I don't jinx myself) I'm still dry and happy.
Thank you for going over everything and posting about your leak experience! I have a 2018 that I bought recently for my son and I’m having a similar leak issue. Are there any pictures you could post that show what you have done to fix your leak? I’m having a hard time following and pictures would definitely help me. After reading so many posts about F150 leak issues, I am happy to see you fixed yours! So many of these threads go on and on and then just stop without a resolution. This leak issue is very frustrating for all of us. I have already had my GPS antenna reseated, new 3rd brake light gasket, new front windshield, and I have confirmed my moonroof drain tubes are clear. Hoping what you have figured out will fix my leak once and for all.

Thank you in advance!!