Sunroof blues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elindley01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll pile on also. Had a 2015 Platinum that the entire assembly was replaced and still had ongoing issues after that. Thought it was just a design flaw that would be worked out in subsequent years, but just got my '17 Raptor w/ 39k back from Ford and the entire track assembly was replaced under warranty. They did state that it's a known issue and either the guides break, and it's a simpler fix, or the entire track assembly and that's obviously more laborious. On the flip side, their sublet trim shop did scratch the hell out of my center console so I got to spend weeks going back and forth to finally get Ford to replace the entire console.... PITA

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys w/ sunroof issues, ever do any maintenance on it yourself at all? My guess is no. I typically don’t think too much about sunroofs myself as far as maintenance goes, but did my research since I was switching from a GM & knew for had sunroof problems.

I literally just yesterday for the 2nd time cleaned/lubed my sunroof on my 2018 - has 12k miles. Did it when it was basically new as well as preventative maintenance didn’t know how long it had sat.

Mine started making a little noise when popping open, really was the rails/hinges getting dry so I lightly lubed w/ white lithium grease.

I clean the rear pano strip that meets the front w/ alcohol along w/ the metal in the roof that mates w/ the movable panel. The movable panel stripping gets cleaned w/ warm soapy water & then once dry I use that a small amount of that krytox stuff.

No more noise working smoothly as ever. Never a leak- also stick some zip ties in the drain holes to make sure they’re clear.

Lastly- always pop to vent it before sliding to open, seems easier on the whole piece when the 2 panels get “stuck” together which usually happens from a humidity/temperature swing.

Knowing is 1/2 the battle boys.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only blue I encountered was the blue sky when I opened it

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys w/ sunroof issues, ever do any maintenance on it yourself at all? My guess is no. I typically don’t think too much about sunroofs myself as far as maintenance goes, but did my research since I was switching from a GM & knew for had sunroof problems.

I literally just yesterday for the 2nd time cleaned/lubed my sunroof on my 2018 - has 12k miles. Did it when it was basically new as well as preventative maintenance didn’t know how long it had sat.

Mine started making a little noise when popping open, really was the rails/hinges getting dry so I lightly lubed w/ white lithium grease.

I clean the rear pano strip that meets the front w/ alcohol along w/ the metal in the roof that mates w/ the movable panel. The movable panel stripping gets cleaned w/ warm soapy water & then once dry I use that a small amount of that krytox stuff.

No more noise working smoothly as ever. Never a leak- also stick some zip ties in the drain holes to make sure they’re clear.

Lastly- always pop to vent it before sliding to open, seems easier on the whole piece when the 2 panels get “stuck” together which usually happens from a humidity/temperature swing.

Knowing is 1/2 the battle boys.

Damn! Ive been neglecting mine.

Only maintenance Ive done in 2 1/2 years is open /close on a nice day.

Rptrchk

Raptor Addict
Reaction score
Jeesh, why have a moon roof if you're never gonna open it?!? I ordered my '17 SCAB with the moon roof & drive with it open almost every day! 29k & no issues so far, but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn! Ive been neglecting mine.

Only maintenance Ive done in 2 1/2 years is open /close on a nice day.

I also use it regularly apparently if you look into the issue seems like that’s a pretty common theme @ least w/ the rails/tracks breaking- also if you’re in extreme cold or hot climate- pieces get brittle. Theres a whole ready made repair kit you can buy off amazon or eBay- but, if ya exercise it regularly & attend to it like I mention maybe twice a year I don’t think you’ll run into an issue.

I can say it seems like ford cheaped out a bit on the design/materials on the sunroof compared to what I was used to seeing in GMC/Acura/Honda/Audi vehicles- but they didn’t have the big dual pane pano roofs either so I guess you gotta compromise someplace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts