Suggestions from Audiophiles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I upgrade the audio system based on reading and product specs along with space restraints.

I am having a tough time deciding what exactly to install on the 2022 800a I ordered and looking for input.

Front - Focal ES 165 KX2 (2ohm)
Rear - Focal ES 165 K2 (4 ohm)
Quality Amp (depending on final upgrades)
Depending on Amp selection I may need a Kicker Keyloc or similar.

I would like to retain as much rear storage room as possible so I am either considering a behind the rear seat subwoofer or only amplifying the aftermarket replacements for the time being. Suggestions, comments, ideas?

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Normally I upgrade the audio system based on reading and product specs along with space restraints.

I am having a tough time deciding what exactly to install on the 2022 800a I ordered and looking for input.

I would like to retain as much rear storage room as possible so I am either considering a behind the rear seat subwoofer or only amplifying the aftermarket replacements for the time being. Suggestions, comments, ideas?
I wanted same for rear storage. Went with (2) Fostgate PS8's. Had to remove jack. Bass is deep still. I know boxes would be better but I use that read area allot and seats are always up.

Speakers and all equipment from @Hush Car Audio.

Morel Maximo Ultra 602 (front speakers)
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Coax (rear speakers)
NavTV Zen Unit
Audiocontrol LC-4.800.

Some notes:

The PAC Audio (APH-FD02) harness that connects to the Zen from Factory only works for Front Speakers. I had to get another harness from Sounds Good Stereo that grabs the Rear Speakers.

Pics attached. Please ignore the messiness. I just finished this past weekend and have to tidy up some wiring that was last minute.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 141

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score

gobluejd - What did you do for a DSP? Is it not needed?

I did not use a DSP. Too complicated for me. LOL. I just wanted better bass and clearer crisp music at higher volumes (windows down and slow rolling thru town LOL). I found that the louder you put the B&O Unleashed, the music completely changed tune.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i never recommend subwoofers behind the seat due to lack of clarity and depth of sound. thats your call on that. as far as the sound goes, when we build higher end systems, we use those speakers you mentioned, as well as arc audio amplifiers and a mosconi processor. the processor allows us to fine tune the sound system and make adjustments to each individual speaker, time alignment, frequency and gain adjustment, etc. all comes together to give you the best sound possible. we also gut the truck to put down sound deadening throughout the entire cab and doors. just a few pics of our standard raptor sound systemIMG_20200426_184114.jpgIMG_20200426_194654.jpgIMG_20200427_001517.jpgIMG_20190909_133212.jpg

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never recommend subwoofers behind the seat due to lack of clarity and depth of sound. thats your call on that. as far as the sound goes, when we build higher end systems, we use those speakers you mentioned, as well as arc audio amplifiers and a mosconi processor. the processor allows us to fine tune the sound system and make adjustments to each individual speaker, time alignment, frequency and gain adjustment, etc. all comes together to give you the best sound possible. we also gut the truck to put down sound deadening throughout the entire cab and doors. just a few pics of our standard raptor sound system
I have that Mosconi processor in my current F150 right now. What are your thoughts on the AC D-6.1200 that comes with the DSP integrated into the amp? Or even the newer JL amps with the DSP integrated?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that Mosconi processor in my current F150 right now. What are your thoughts on the AC D-6.1200 that comes with the DSP integrated into the amp? Or even the newer JL amps with the DSP integrated?
you can get good sound with those amplifiers, and a lot of tuning capabilities, however having a processor built into the amp has its downfalls. aside from tbe audiocontrol amp, just about every dsp amplifier is limited to 70-100watts per channel. which may be fine for most people, however in the sq world, dynamic headroom is very important, and you cant get that with 70-100watts per channel. as for the audiocontrol amp does give you more power, but you need to run at 2ohms to get that. audio control i think, is trying to do too much with that amp. the accubass especially. i never really find that necessary. dont get me wrong, its still better than just throwing in any amp that looks pretty, but it has its limitations.

i see you are in denver. i recently moved to thornton. once my truck gets fixed in the next couple weeks, you are more than welcome to take a listen.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get good sound with those amplifiers, and a lot of tuning capabilities, however having a processor built into the amp has its downfalls. aside from tbe audiocontrol amp, just about every dsp amplifier is limited to 70-100watts per channel. which may be fine for most people, however in the sq world, dynamic headroom is very important, and you cant get that with 70-100watts per channel. as for the audiocontrol amp does give you more power, but you need to run at 2ohms to get that. audio control i think, is trying to do too much with that amp. the accubass especially. i never really find that necessary. dont get me wrong, its still better than just throwing in any amp that looks pretty, but it has its limitations.

i see you are in denver. i recently moved to thornton. once my truck gets fixed in the next couple weeks, you are more than welcome to take a listen.
Good info, thank you. Yea I'd definitely like to have a listen. Thornton is about 15-20 minutes from me.