Suggestions for rear bumper/bed lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As title states looking for some ideas on lighting for my 2020 that didn’t come w/ factory bed lights + wanted more lighting offroad/backing up @ night. I have upfitters 5/6 open, & the #4 switch turns on the amber backlighting for my 4 forward facing rigid radiance fogs.

I was considering this rigid SR-L kit from SPV b/c I like the slim design & how you can get em up Tight to the bumper- just wish I could get em w/ the same amber backlighting color as the front radiance lights. https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...r-rear-sr-l-series-reverse-light-kit-no-drill

Alternatively I was considering just having a couple regular wide-cornering rigid pro cubes back there but feel like they’re a bit bulky & wouldn’t look as good, but could get the same amber backlighting effect tho as the front- more options?

In Either scenario figured I could have the white spot lighting function turn on w/ upfitter#5 & have the backlight function tied into #4 that already has the forward facing 4 rigid radiance fogs on it- is that doable or too much on 1 switch?

For the bed I feel like I’d either want to get some quality led strips mounted up under the rails & wired to upfitter#6 (I don’t have any interest to tie them into the interior “all on”
Lighting function or anything else) OR just having a couple the rigid rock/dome lights mounted someplace in the bed either tied to #6 OR even better leave #6 still open & get the rock/dome lights that have their own on/off switch just run a power lead wire direct from battery. Question is whether these type of lights w/ the integrated power switch would function when the truck is off but unlocked or whether it needs to be on or ignition in the “aux” position etc.

For the bed On one hand I lean toward the led strip lighting in the rails b/c I know it’ll be the best lighting scenario/best visibility, on the other hand if those rigid rock/dome type lights function w/o needing the truck on it convenient being able to just turn them on as needed like the factory style + it leaves my last upfitter switch open for something else down the road.

What throws more light the dome vs rock lights anyhow?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have the Rigid with red back lighting from SPV, work great. I have also had a few over work light options out the back. Had ambers on top of the bed facing backwards for chase lights, but after I got the GJ brake light, I switched them to white. The center white in the brake light is pretty Brite and don't see a need for running LEDs under the rail.

20210916_131810.jpg
20210920_143709.jpg
20220107_133540.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I rotated a set of B/D squadron sports to the rear, and as you indicate they are a bit bulky and they will definitely catch if you ground. I was ******** off on our property and dragged one of the pipes. boo hoo. I don’t even look at the exhaust tips but the lights are right next to them. Sure enough, pointed at the sky. Repositioned and moved on with life. I like the @Nex bed mounts, but not ready to pay the Raptor Tax for that 3rd brake light option.

Blue Thunder

Reaction score
I added two Spartan spot lights just under the rear bumper. It was a bit tough drilling through the bumper. Hooked them into the reverse lights, so only on when in reverse. Super bright!!

Attachments

• 20220314_163738.jpg
    20220314_163738.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220314_163759.jpg
    20220314_163759.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220314_163829.jpg
    20220314_163829.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the baja S2 under the rear bumper. They're wired to come on in reverse or manually with auxiliary 6.

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_211843772.jpg
    PXL_20201101_211843772.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 55

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the baja S2 under the rear bumper. They're wired to come on in reverse or manually with auxiliary 6.
+1 with the exception of wired for manual switch only; I just wanted to turn them on ONLY when necessary, in my opinion they are too bright to have them on every time I go in reverse.

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 17

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been pretty pleased with my blue water led truck bed lighting kit. They are strip lights and they are made by a marine/boat accessory company.

I just wired them into my RTMR and they come with a switch so I did not need to use an upfitter.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a bunch of the Baja Designs S2 kits in stock and they're awesome. Super easy install and there's little that compares to the quality of Baja Designs.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I added a LED Strip to the bed of the truck for the bed lighting. I also installed a small LED light above the receiver hitch for a backup light.

Factory Bed Light
1.jpeg

Factory plus LED Light Strip
2.jpeg

Button to turn on LED Light along with factory bed light switch
3.jpeg

LED Backup Light Bar
Backup Light Bar 1.jpgBackup Light Bar 2.jpg

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Rigid with red back lighting from SPV, work great. I have also had a few over work light options out the back. Had ambers on top of the bed facing backwards for chase lights, but after I got the GJ brake light, I switched them to white. The center white in the brake light is pretty Brite and don't see a need for running LEDs under the rail.

View attachment 346161

I currently am running these same lights, and had S1s back there previously. The Rigids look a lot better, and SPVs wiring kit makes it really nice, but the S1s absolutely put out more light. With the Rigid, it really only helps when using the backup camera. If I look at the back myself, I don't really notice they are on. With the S1s, not only could I see it without camera, but the neighbor across the street could see it in his kitchen.