Suggestions for Camping/ATV trip near Illinois

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys looking to use the power of the web. Does anybody have a good suggestion for where there would be a great camping site where I can run my Polaris side by side and the kids can run there polaris 90's on trails? Would be nice to fish, swim, etc etc. I just bought a 28' toy hauler last year where I can haul the atv equipment and camp. Now I'm looking for a nice campground to get the family started on. Would be nice if it had electric and water hookup also. I'm from Illinois just south of Chitown so I'd say we could handle up to an 8 - 10 hour drive if we had to. Wisconsin, Michigian, Iowa, Indiana would work fine. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How about Silver Lake sand dunes. Michigan

Heya Iron,
Ha I was just there last year itsa nice place in deed. I dont think the kids 2 wheel drive atv's will run as well on the sand and they are new riders being on the young side 12,10,8, & 5. I'm thinking more along the lines of wooded trails myself. I'm seeing all kinds of places on the web. I'm just looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with these conditions in mind. Are you close to there by chance? If I wind up going up there again I shoot ya a PM. Thanks

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Heya Iron,
Does it have wooded trails? I dont think the kids 2 wheel drive atv's will run as well on the sand and they are new riders being on the young side 12,10,8, & 5. And is there a pool or swim lake (wifes request)? I think if I look hard enough I can find the full Monty. Ha. I'm seeing all kinds of places on the web. I'm just looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with these conditions in mind.

Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area, Silver Lake Michigan Hart, Mears, Pentwater Michigan
I believe it does have wooded trails and a very nice lake. It looks like a blast.
I'm going to try and take the family this year.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I'm maybe 2 hours away I think. I've only been once and just kinda passed thru.

OP
OP
AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha I edited as you hit send realizing I was there last year. Yea I was there last year its all sand and the lake is lake michigian LoL. I didnt see anywhere where you could set up camper and atv ride straight out. It looked like a trailer your atv there and unload type deal. But thanks again.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dunno if it will cover all your wants and needs, but few years ago when my mom was going to the Mayo Clinic, instead of a hotel for 2 weeks, we stayed in the motor home at Bluff Valley in Zumbro Falls Minnesota. was right on the river, lotta stuff at the main center for kids to do. dunno about alot of ATV riding, some sections were pretty open but dont remember any trails but we did bring a golf cart with us and rode that around the grounds. the best part was, no standing water..... so no mosquito's!!!! the closest small town had a nice lil bar called Whiskey Sue's, yeah they got to know us there lol and some really cheap specials! comming from Chicago we damn near felt like we were drinking free! so again dunno if its exactly what your looking for, but thought id throw it out there anyway.