Sudden no-start situation... little help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent... thanks @CoronaRaptor... appreciated. Nice to know that at least Ford has acknowledged the problem and has a fix.

I see you're from Canada... whereabouts? Canada is where my Raptor will likely go to work in the near future... I have a history of working with energy companies based in Calgary - then visiting sites all over northern Alberta... Canadian Rockies, little towns like Edson, etc... An incredibly beautiful area, and the Raptor will be far more at home getting to those remote well-sites up there! And if we continue to behave insanely as a country, hell, I might have to move up there...

Thanks!
I'm in BC in the Okanagan.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
...this was up near Prince Rupert... not good access by roads, most folks puddle-jump around in single-engine aircraft. Nonetheless, an incredibly beautiful area...

Attachments

• P1000022.JPG
    P1000022.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1000024.JPG
    P1000024.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1000005.JPG
    P1000005.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
@CoronaRaptor - I live in Evergreen, CO... at 8820ft ASL. I'm a car geek too... and we're so high that my entire collection of fun stuff is now blown in some sort or another - turbos/blowers. Soooo... that means there's going to be some forced induction under the hood of this Raptor fairly soon. I thought a 411hp rating would do it at our altitude, but alas, it does not... and I frequently visit places that are well above tree-line at around 12k feet ASL. She feels pretty weak when she's down over 30% on power... and darn near 40% when I'm around 12k.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Ugh... I checked #27 - and every single fuse in the panel - and all are good. #27 had clearly been hot, as it was basically welded in place and I had to break it to get it out. Replaced with new... nothing. However, I have not yet lifted the panel to look at the underside. I suppose it remains possible that the wires are burnt too, and I can't yet see it.

Is the fuel pump in-tank on these... I assume it probably is?

Thanks

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Solved... sometimes you should just troubleshoot normally instead of looking for shortcuts, lol. I already knew I had good ignition, so it had to be fuel related. #27... fine. So, I looked for the fuel pump relay. Turned out to be #8. I jumped it and could hear the pump running audibly... but it was really loud?!? No way, I thought... but poured in 5 gallons of fresh fuel anyway. Jumped the FPR again, and could hear the pump get quiet while running. You've got to be kidding me, I thought... and that was it.

One of my best friends owns a company called Powerstroke Specialties down in Georgia. He warned me the day I bought it about the messed up trip computer and fuel gauge design on the Ford trucks. I had run the truck empty several times - as suggested - to get it to recognize that it actually holds 36 gallons instead of 20-something, and I thought that was behind me. However, the wifey had been using the truck this week... so I'm not entirely sure what happened. But what I do know was that the truck was reading just shy of half tank on the gauge, and the trip meter claimed that it had consumed "only" 27 gallons since its last fill-up. In my experience, that "fuel used" figure had been extremely accurate - within a tenth of a gallon at each fill. I routinely ran it til it indicated around 33 or 34 gallons used, then fill up. However, this time it was most certainly WAY off.

You gotta love it when it's the vehicle's own lame design that bites you in the ***. I'll know better next time, lol. Silver lining? Well, I guess I know that I need to address the #27 issue... now.

Thanks for the input... @CoronaRaptor - appreciated.

Dave

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh... I checked #27 - and every single fuse in the panel - and all are good. #27 had clearly been hot, as it was basically welded in place and I had to break it to get it out. Replaced with new... nothing. However, I have not yet lifted the panel to look at the underside. I suppose it remains possible that the wires are burnt too, and I can't yet see it.

Is the fuel pump in-tank on these... I assume it probably is?

Thanks
yes, its an internal fuel pump. dumb question. you got gas? have to rule out the simple things to make sure.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Solved... sometimes you should just troubleshoot normally instead of looking for shortcuts, lol. I already knew I had good ignition, so it had to be fuel related. #27... fine. So, I looked for the fuel pump relay. Turned out to be #8. I jumped it and could hear the pump running audibly... but it was really loud?!? No way, I thought... but poured in 5 gallons of fresh fuel anyway. Jumped the FPR again, and could hear the pump get quiet while running. You've got to be kidding me, I thought... and that was it.

One of my best friends owns a company called Powerstroke Specialties down in Georgia. He warned me the day I bought it about the messed up trip computer and fuel gauge design on the Ford trucks. I had run the truck empty several times - as suggested - to get it to recognize that it actually holds 36 gallons instead of 20-something, and I thought that was behind me. However, the wifey had been using the truck this week... so I'm not entirely sure what happened. But what I do know was that the truck was reading just shy of half tank on the gauge, and the trip meter claimed that it had consumed "only" 27 gallons since its last fill-up. In my experience, that "fuel used" figure had been extremely accurate - within a tenth of a gallon at each fill. I routinely ran it til it indicated around 33 or 34 gallons used, then fill up. However, this time it was most certainly WAY off.

You gotta love it when it's the vehicle's own lame design that bites you in the ***. I'll know better next time, lol. Silver lining? Well, I guess I know that I need to address the #27 issue... now.

Thanks for the input... @CoronaRaptor - appreciated.

Dave
Glad it was an easy fix, you should still do the fuse 27 relocation sometime. So does your gas gauge not work? Maybe you need a new sending unit? Glad you’re on the road again anyway! Away from the stealerships, lol.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Ha... nobody works on my stuff - certainly no dealers, ugh!

Thanks again for the input.

The sending unit is "fine" - it's just that issue where it can't seem to decide which tank it's equipped with, and that's a problem across all Ford trucks equipped with the large tank - or so I've been told. When I bought it in MS, I had a long trip ahead of me. I noticed immediately that I would get the low fuel warning WAY early and the fuel gauge would read empty. Yet when I filled it, it would only take 20-some gallons. So, I did the run-til-dry thing twice in a row, subsequently refilling completely. That seemed to "reset" everything, as the gauge and all else would behave as if it knew the tank was 36 gallons. Honestly, it's a total PITA. I've messed with this nonsense since the day I bought it, and I'm tempted to just throw a secondary sending unit/gauge in the truck so I have something I can trust.

When I've been using it, I just filled til full, zeroed out the trip meter, and then the only thing I'd pay attention to was the "fuel used" figure on the display. I'd run her til I saw something over 30 gallons used, then fill. That, as I mentioned before, seemed to work fine - each time I fueled, the "gallons used" proved to be *very*accurate... within a 1/10th of a gallon. That method was working fine, until now.

Wifey swears up and down that she reset it at each fill - as I had "trained" her to do, once I realized the system was wonky as built by Ford. However, the trip meter only read 348 miles/25.2 gallons used - and that adds up on a mpg basis to normal usage. However, the tank WAS in fact dry... and it took nearly 36 gallons to refuel it. That leaves me with only 3 potential options - 1) I leaked out 10 gallons of fuel somewhere - 2) Someone stole 10gallons out of the tank - 3) Wifey failed to reset somewhere along the line.

My money - the wifey messed up. No one would try to steal gas out of our vehicle where we live... we're in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and we have 2 dogs with *very* good hearing. 10 gallons of leakage? No way. I'd smell that quantity from miles away, and this entire episode took place right in our driveway.

Anyway... I'll know better next time. Further, from now on there will be a full 5 gallon can in back!!

Now... back to something fun... time to select a blower!

Thanks again,
Dave