Sudden no-start situation... little help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djdawson2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a relatively "new-to-me" 2013/6.2 Raptor. I've had it for about3 months now, and I've gone through all the fluids and other maintenance items. I've used it a fair amount (about 120k on the clock), and it's been completely trouble-free. Then, out of nowhere, it started hesitating to cold-start. A little stumbling... trying... catching... then finally firing. This was never the case before - it would fire up almost instantly. It behaved this way for a few days, and then one morning - nothing. Cranks fine, sounds fine - and when I took a rag wet with fuel and placed it over the open intake, it would attempt to start. For this reason, it seems to me that there's a fuel delivery problem.

Based on my description, does this sound like a fuel pump failure - is it common? If not, I'd love it if you guys could point me towards any of the "usual suspects" - in terms of a sudden no-start condition. Seems every vehicle usually has its own unique set of common points of failure, however, at this point I've not yet spent enough time with the truck - or reading about it - to discover what those are yet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oh - I have heard some mention of "Fuse 27" and that silly-exposed harness running down the frame. That's a maintenance item I have yet to address - perhaps a source of my troubles. Is there a solid/comprehensive write-up somewhere that describes this problem and the associated solutions? I'd like to get that out of the way before it gets snagged on something and ripped out of the truck, lol... to me, it looks unbelievably vulnerable for a truck designed for heavy off-road use..?

Thanks in advance,
Dave - Colorado

Attachments

• Raptor home.jpg
    Raptor home.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
OK... can you give me any more clues... like am I looking for the fuse to be burnt? Is that circuit overloaded? Or is it more significant? I had planned on re-routing that harness on the driver's side frame-rail. I knew nothing much specifically about Raptors when this one fell into my lap, and I even asked the previous owner if that harness was that way when he bought it new. I couldn't believe it... vulnerable as heck.

Anyway... I'm going to get home yet tonight, and I do want to dig into this tomorrow. So, any additional hints/tips/whatever, I'll gratefully take it.

Thanks!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fuse 27 is for the fuel pump, even if the fuse is good, the contacts below can be burnt, there’s lots of write ups on it in here.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Thanks, @CoronaRaptor... I assume you selected your handle when you joined in 2012..? Kinda makes you a prophet of sorts, lol! If we're going to be stuck with a virus, we may as well have an awesome truck to run it over with.

OK... I'll chase fuse 27. I haven't learned how to search this forum effectively yet... I'm too new. Given the frequency that I've already heard about fuse 27 issues - and I've only posted a couple times - it sounds like a topic that may have a "sticky"? Any link would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave/CO

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, @CoronaRaptor... I assume you selected your handle when you joined in 2012..? Kinda makes you a prophet of sorts, lol!

OK... I'll chase fuse 27. I haven't learned how to search this forum effectively yet. Given the frequency that I've already heard about fuse 27 issues - and I've only posted a couple time - it sounds like a topic that may have a "sticky"? Any link would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave/CO
Yes, before covid, lol. If you still have a fuse 27 under the hood in place, you need to buy the relocation kit from Ford, it's dirt cheap, if you don't feel confident to do it yourself, any shop can do this for you.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Oh... and if there's a link or an aftermarket "kit" or something that enables one to relocate that entire harness, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Excellent... thanks @CoronaRaptor... appreciated. Nice to know that at least Ford has acknowledged the problem and has a fix.

I see you're from Canada... whereabouts? Canada is where my Raptor will likely go to work in the near future... I have a history of working with energy companies based in Calgary - then visiting sites all over northern Alberta... Canadian Rockies, little towns like Edson, etc... An incredibly beautiful area, and the Raptor will be far more at home getting to those remote well-sites up there! And if we continue to behave insanely as a country, hell, I might have to move up there...

Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @CoronaRaptor... I assume you selected your handle when you joined in 2012..? Kinda makes you a prophet of sorts, lol! If we're going to be stuck with a virus, we may as well have an awesome truck to run it over with.

OK... I'll chase fuse 27. I haven't learned how to search this forum effectively yet... I'm too new. Given the frequency that I've already heard about fuse 27 issues - and I've only posted a couple times - it sounds like a topic that may have a "sticky"? Any link would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave/CO
where in co are you? the fuse 27 is in the under hood fuse box. its a 20 amp fuse on the left hand side.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score