Subtle Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back from the dealership today. They said there was no clunking sound in the suspension and it sounded normal. They didn't fix my inverter fan noise, said it was normal. It's not. They didn't notice anything unusual with my transmission downshifts, but it sometimes feels like I've been rear ended before I come to a stop. They didn't fix the Drivers side auto dimming mirror, they said they couldn't get it to malfunction. It gets stuck in the dimming mode even with no lights behind it at dusk and dawn. They didn't fix the ticking noise from the exhaust on cold start, they said it sounded normal. Sounds like a tractor on cold starts. They absolutely noticed the waves in my windshield glass because you can't look through it without noticing it, but they didn't replace it. Supposed to call me in a week or two after the glass comes in. They had my truck for 3 days and did kcuf all. That's not true, they installed my tonneau cover that was included in my purchase. That's it.

I'm going to take it back in when they have the windshield and complain about everything all over again and if they don't make a better effort I will figure something else out.

Other than that, truck is great. It was nice to drive it again after being back in my Subaru STI for a few days. I did not miss my manual transmission at all.

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got mine back from the dealership today. They said there was no clunking sound in the suspension and it sounded normal. They didn't fix my inverter fan noise, said it was normal. It's not. They didn't notice anything unusual with my transmission downshifts, but it sometimes feels like I've been rear ended before I come to a stop. They didn't fix the Drivers side auto dimming mirror, they said they couldn't get it to malfunction. It gets stuck in the dimming mode even with no lights behind it at dusk and dawn. They didn't fix the ticking noise from the exhaust on cold start, they said it sounded normal. Sounds like a tractor on cold starts. They absolutely noticed the waves in my windshield glass because you can't look through it without noticing it, but they didn't replace it. Supposed to call me in a week or two after the glass comes in. They had my truck for 3 days and did kcuf all. That's not true, they installed my tonneau cover that was included in my purchase. That's it.

I'm going to take it back in when they have the windshield and complain about everything all over again and if they don't make a better effort I will figure something else out.

Other than that, truck is great. It was nice to drive it again after being back in my Subaru STI for a few days. I did not miss my manual transmission at all.
Its apparently easier to just say they could not duplicate the concern, but c'mon man.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really thought you guys were crazy as you talked about the clunking coming from the rear shocks. But, I drove the truck last night with this in mind, and it does seem as though the clunking is actually coming from the rear. As noted previously though, I do still feel it in the front floorboard and through the pedals. At this point, it seems to me that the most likely culprit is a bad rear shock. Go figure.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I’m thoroughly disappointed (at that dealership) for you! @tabvette makes an excellent point! Try taking them on a ride with you next time, explaining what’s happening as it happens. Or try another dealer all together. Certainly hope those issues get addressed appropriately.

Thamac15

Reaction score
When I pull out of my driveway, big dip, with the front, I hear the sound on the front right. I literally get the front to exit, hear it, then stop. Then when the rear goes over the dip, no sound. I never hear it in the rear except when I bounce the rear up and down. I’m 99% certain mine is the front right. I don’t hear anything coming from the rear when driving.

G3n Blue

Reaction score
2644E6D3-D25F-4CCD-842B-C3616BD51DB8.jpegI also have the clunking noise(s); I believe it is a culmination of the oil catch pan/router rattling against the steering rack, another plastic shield on the driver side next to the front differential and excess play in the brake calipers. I can replicate the exact noise by tapping the calipers towards the wheel (sliding the caliper back and forth like it was designed). I put weather stripping in between the plastic tray and the steering rack and a lot of the chatter went away at very low speeds, but the deeper clunks are still there from what I believe is the caliper sliding back and forth freely; I noticed that it becomes worse around corners which makes this more probable.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thoroughly disappointed (at that dealership) for you! @tabvette makes an excellent point! Try taking them on a ride with you next time, explaining what’s happening as it happens. Or try another dealer all together. Certainly hope those issues get addressed appropriately.
Yeah, thanks. I thought them having it for 3 days meant that they were working on something or had things they wanted to look at. I guess not, all the tech's notes were half sentences and my ford pass "journeys" show they drove it a total of 1.6 miles the day I dropped it off and that was it until 30 minutes before ei picked it up. I'm not sure how journeys work, so maybe they drove it more and it's just not showing up, but I'll give them another chance next time and go from there. I'll try to get them to ride with me.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a service bulletin for the fan noise It’s a software update. I just had it done.
I told the service advisor about the tsb and gave him the number. No indication that they even considered it going by their notes. But they also didn't give me a copy of the paperwork when I left.