stupid shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor556

Reaction score
If I have my shocks rebuilt and shrader valves installed how am I supposed to fill them if they are filled with nitrogen?

sounds like I have to buy more crap

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure do. I use the Power Tank setup for my SXSs, dirt bikes, and quads. Haven't touched the truck yet, no need yet.

Attachments

• 20180218_095114.jpg
    20180218_095114.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180218_095158.jpg
    20180218_095158.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 13

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about all tire shops have nitrogen on tap for filling tires, especially for heavy haul applications (keeps the tire pressures more constant as tires heat up, nitrogen is less expansive than regular air with mix of lots of gases). So you can always have them topped off if you need to.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just about all tire shops have nitrogen on tap for filling tires, especially for heavy haul applications (keeps the tire pressures more constant as tires heat up, nitrogen is less expansive than regular air with mix of lots of gases). So you can always have them topped off if you need to.
Tire shops able to “air” up to 150psi-200psi? Plus you should be at full extension on the shock to charge it, which they may not want to fool with.

the1russ

Reaction score
I picked up a tank of nitrogen from my local welding supply shop for $17 with tank exchange. About the size of a scuba tank. You'll need a control valve and hose to go along.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why are you filling them? I have a full nitrogen setup for my rock crawler shocks. I had schrader valves installed on my shocks so I CAN fill them, but in 10 years (Gen 1) I have never needed to. I get the shocks rebuilt every couple years, so they do get refilled then, and only then. The nitrogen doesn't leak out otherwise unless the shocks are blown.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why are you filling them? I have a full nitrogen setup for my rock crawler shocks. I had schrader valves installed on my shocks so I CAN fill them, but in 10 years (Gen 1) I have never needed to. I get the shocks rebuilt every couple years, so they do get refilled then, and only then. The nitrogen doesn't leak out otherwise unless the shocks are blown.
I can only speak for me. But I let the nitrogen out to disassemble the rear suspension when either adding something to it, cleaning, etc. before events I’ll check pressure by setting the regulator to my desired and hooking them up to verify. I also have it for when I do rebuild, revalve, etc.

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your rebuilding your own shocks, the shop you take them to should be filling them to the correct pressure. I just had mine rebuilt, with shrader valves installed in case I wanted to check/ change psi in the future. Received shocks rebuilt and all filled to correct psi.