Stupid Ford BMS !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new Odyssey battery for my truck and wanted to do things right. So I download Forscan and get the USB adapter, download and install the drivers before firing up the program to make sure it works. It does. Big day comes and I install the battery with no problems but when I fire up Forscan it won’t execute the battery reset. I try several different approaches but no joy. Upon starting the function it hiccups, interior lights blink and the error prompt tells me it’s unable to perform the function. All that preparation and I end up driving the truck home and parking it for the weekend. I shoulda done that from the start. Sometimes over preparing for stuff doesn’t work out and the easy way is better.

In case anyone is interested, I replaced my stock battery which is about 7 years old. It was still going strong with a green indicator but I didn’t want to have it die in the middle of winter. After some research I switched Forscan to run as Administrator but haven’t tried it yet as I don’t think it matters at this point. Has anyone else just thrown a new battery in and defied the BMS by doing nothing? Please advise if what I did was not sufficient. Truck runs great BTW and that new battery is sweet!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I replaced my stock battery which is about 7 years old. It was still going strong with a green indicator but I didn’t want to have it die in the middle of winter.

That’s living right! FWIW, I got 8 years out of my Lightning battery, plus a few months and about March I noticed it was cranking a little slow, remembered I’d never replaced the battery and thought like you did, better do this now than find out the hard way. You may well have had an entire season left, but you may not have and you’re probably better off for it now.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The original battery in my Raptor lasted almost 5 years, it's replacement lasted 2 years. My local ford store took good care of the matter at no cost to me other than a little time this past saturday. Motorcraft battery with an 8 year warranty pro rated after 3. I'm thankful that it happened now and not in the dead of winter.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a new Odyssey battery for my truck and wanted to do things right. So I download Forscan and get the USB adapter, download and install the drivers before firing up the program to make sure it works. It does. Big day comes and I install the battery with no problems but when I fire up Forscan it won’t execute the battery reset. I try several different approaches but no joy. Upon starting the function it hiccups, interior lights blink and the error prompt tells me it’s unable to perform the function. All that preparation and I end up driving the truck home and parking it for the weekend. I shoulda done that from the start. Sometimes over preparing for stuff doesn’t work out and the easy way is better.

In case anyone is interested, I replaced my stock battery which is about 7 years old. It was still going strong with a green indicator but I didn’t want to have it die in the middle of winter. After some research I switched Forscan to run as Administrator but haven’t tried it yet as I don’t think it matters at this point. Has anyone else just thrown a new battery in and defied the BMS by doing nothing? Please advise if what I did was not sufficient. Truck runs great BTW and that new battery is sweet!
When we discus a "battery reset", it usually means disconnecting the ground terminal from the battery for 15 to 20 minutes.
This clears some codes but the main reason is clearing the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) and forces a new learning cycle.
I not sure what the function of the Forscan battery reset would do.

4WDrew

Reaction score
When we discus a "battery reset", it usually means disconnecting the ground terminal from the battery for 15 to 20 minutes.
This clears some codes but the main reason is clearing the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) and forces a new learning cycle.
I not sure what the function of the Forscan battery reset would do.

BMS reset is done not just to clear codes but to reset the current monitor for the new battery. I beleive disconnecting for the mentioned time will also reset bms. The FSM states that an approximate 8 hour undisturbed period will need to occur for the new state of charge to be learned. I've seen nothing happen if bms reset isn't done as well as seen different random things happen such as intermittent load shedding (system off to save battery message) or irregular function of bms controlled items like windshield wipers.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BMS reset is done not just to clear codes but to reset the current monitor for the new battery. I beleive disconnecting for the mentioned time will also reset bms. The FSM states that an approximate 8 hour undisturbed period will need to occur for the new state of charge to be learned. I've seen nothing happen if bms reset isn't done as well as seen different random things happen such as intermittent load shedding (system off to save battery message) or irregular function of bms controlled items like windshield wipers.
The OP stated "Battery Reset" not resetting the BMS
No worries, I guess I could have read more into his post as to what he was trying to do.

Anyway, found these on the internet

On my 2016 Ford F-150. 1. Get in truck close the door. Press the push to start, BUT NOT TURN IT ON. Simply press the push to start. And wait for the battery light to come on. 2. Flash brights 5 times, then press and release the breaks 3 times. Wait about 5-10 seconds and it will flash. When you press the brakes the second time it won’t go in as far. Just make sure to release the brakes fully after each press. Remove you foot completely to make sure you do it right.

Tried this after a new battery purchased on a 2017 F250 6.2 gas and it seems to have worked. I used the procedure that you turn vehicle power on, not start engine. Pull the high beam light lever 5 times then press and fully release the brakes 3 times. About 2 seconds later I saw the batter check light flash 3 or 4 times. Guess that means it worked. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: