Stuck Shock Spherical Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the process of installing UCA, Tie Rod, and a Forged Rebuilt shock set I got off a member here. Driver side is in but the passenger lower shock bearing will not move with prying or love hammering. Any suggestions or similar experience? Basically the only two options are to try and line of the shock so that it is perfectly lined up and see if the truck reacts or send it out for repair.

OP
OP
divedeep1

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basically the inner bearing will not shift or move while Iam trying to insert the shock. I could try and move the shock top hat so that the misalignments are oriented correctly. But iam concerned for the bearing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been many moons since I did mine, but recall that spherical bearing falls out easily, maybe it's in wrong way around.

OP
OP
divedeep1

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been many moons since I did mine, but recall that spherical bearing falls out easily, maybe it's in wrong way around.

Your thinking of the misalignment spacers. One goes in each side into the spherical bearing. They do fall out easily. On the driver side I was able to manipulate the bearing and while guiding the shock in... it adjusted to the LCA slot. The passenger side won’t budge. They are aligned perfectly straight right now with the shock.... but do to the alignMent of the top hat, spring, and shock... Iam millimeters off from being able to get the bolt in. Looks like I’ll just have to remove the top hat and rotate it ever so slightly and rotate the assembly until it all lines up. Iam sure any rotational forces the truck will have on the bearing will break it lose. Need to call forged and confirm. PIA!!!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its probably a bit stuck..

i'd def leave the top hat nuts for last.. you can put the bottom bolt thru first and then use the floor jack to push the LCA up to get the top hat nuts..

OP
OP
divedeep1

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its probably a bit stuck..

i'd def leave the top hat nuts for last.. you can put the bottom bolt thru first and then use the floor jack to push the LCA up to get the top hat nuts..

I tried jacking up the LCA. Only a couple of inches before the truck is raised and the misalignments bind. Only way I see it is to remove shock, compress the spring, loosing top hat enough to rotate the shock so that it is perfectly aligned. I am literally millimeters from it just sliding in. Might take a few tries but only way I see of doing it. I don’t see using the spherical bearings again.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Forged Offroad YouTube video shows the guy using either a screwdriver or alignment punch to align the bearing and he isn't gentle with it...I would put some muscle in it and not worry too much about hurting the bearing.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried jacking up the LCA. Only a couple of inches before the truck is raised and the misalignments bind. Only way I see it is to remove shock, compress the spring, loosing top hat enough to rotate the shock so that it is perfectly aligned. I am literally millimeters from it just sliding in. Might take a few tries but only way I see of doing it. I don’t see using the spherical bearings again.

what I meant was put the top into the spring bucket but don't put the studs thru the holes in top.. put the bottom bolt thru, and then grab the spring and get the studs on top lined up...

I've put a long prybar thru the stock bottom bushing to get it lined up when the hat was turned a bit..

OP
OP
divedeep1

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I meant was put the top into the spring bucket but don't put the studs thru the holes in top.. put the bottom bolt thru, and then grab the spring and get the studs on top lined up...

I've put a long prybar thru the stock bottom bushing to get it lined up when the hat was turned a bit..

Then we are mechanically like minded. I have tried both options with the top hat. Tried hammer and pry bar to align. Started to mar the misalignments. Moved minimally but not able to get it where I need. I noticed that some of the misalignments and bearings differ from one to the next. Machine tolerances. My driver side was by no means easy... but I could manipulate it. Passenger side is set hard. I thought about hand filing the LCA... but better since got me. Leaving the truck on jack stands until I get back from a short vacation. I’ll update after I try the top hat alignment. Thanks for the reply and assistance.