GEN 1 Strut Mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom perch is what oem is. there was a lot of conversation many years ago stating ford tested the shocks on mid perch, but due to the headlight height regulations from dot, it was set to bottom perch. when ford came out with the torsen front diff, it did/does not play well with your axle angle. 2010 and 2011 really didnt have a problem, but from 12-14 the torsen made the difference. lot of binding in 4wd and torn boots along with busted axles. boots are pretty easy to replace, however ford doesnt sell just the boot, you have to buy the entire axle. i have replaced several boots over the years due to crap i run over while im offroad. takes time, but not hard. i think the aftermarket shocks put the truckheight around mid perch so there shouldnt be any adjustments needed if at all possible

BSRKNU-big scotty

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all hwy and street with spring at top perch. mosdef going down on the front end now, and the back, or mount a bunch more stuff in the bed !

BSRKNU-big scotty

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company @Gryphon313 @Irregular F150 Again thanks for the info. I will know in the next few days how much lower the Icons are set. That top perch is up at least 1 3/4 - 2 inches from bottom setting, so at the LCA gotta raise it at least 3 inches. Whoever did that on my truck must have done a lift block in the rear but it must be a ford block bc it looks stock. I'll probably bring it in the shop and machine it down, I can do that faster than going to a store, or take it out.

BSRKNU-big scotty

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company I have been looking for that boot to keep the first axles I took off as spares and no idea how to find one. Rock auto has a listing of a company but always says out of stock. Those axles took a pounding in Sedona before the boot finally tore after a year and a few trips to Glamis, it was harsh though on that top perch, I figure throw those axles out now anyway knowing the cvs were maxing out all that time, no way of knowing fatigue and for the price start looking for a spare set new. not that much money. Good idea ? find a boot and keep em ? buy new set before 2013 sets are gone altogether ? I do plan on keeping it

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company I have been looking for that boot to keep the first axles I took off as spares and no idea how to find one. Rock auto has a listing of a company but always says out of stock. Those axles took a pounding in Sedona before the boot finally tore after a year and a few trips to Glamis, it was harsh though on that top perch, I figure throw those axles out now anyway knowing the cvs were maxing out all that time, no way of knowing fatigue and for the price start looking for a spare set new. not that much money. Good idea ? find a boot and keep em ? buy new set before 2013 sets are gone altogether ? I do plan on keeping it
Screenshot_2022-12-20-09-48-17-65_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpgi buy these

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company @Gryphon313 @Irregular F150 Again thanks for the info. I will know in the next few days how much lower the Icons are set. That top perch is up at least 1 3/4 - 2 inches from bottom setting, so at the LCA gotta raise it at least 3 inches. Whoever did that on my truck must have done a lift block in the rear but it must be a ford block bc it looks stock. I'll probably bring it in the shop and machine it down, I can do that faster than going to a store, or take it out.
take a pic. i can tell you if its oem or not

BSRKNU-big scotty

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do, it's in the shop for the shocks and my guy got the flu ! don't visit san diego, seems like everyone here has it ! Have seen those dorman split boots, I'll order right away since it looks like my brand new one has rubbed itself about half way thru already, about 100 miles

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do, it's in the shop for the shocks and my guy got the flu ! don't visit san diego, seems like everyone here has it ! Have seen those dorman split boots, I'll order right away since it looks like my brand new one has rubbed itself about half way thru already, about 100 miles
dont get the split boots. repeat. dont get the split boots

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BSRKNU-big scotty

Have you checked to see whether your IWE’s are disengaging the front hubs properly?

Also, I’d be curious to see your CV angles. My Icon 3.0’s have my CV’s at a decently steep angle, but everything seems ok so far. Been using 4wd a bit lately due to snow, so I will take a look this week to see if I have any increased wear.