Strobe Lighting Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zmessmer

Reaction score
I'll probably catch some shit for my questions because I'm sure they've been asked, but I couldn't find an answer so here we are..
I picked up an 18 Raptor and am trying to find out my best options for strobe lighting (front and rear) for when I go on job sights. The truck does not have fogs, so I was thinking of putting a few cubes in each bumper cut out and switches for just straight lights, as well a strobe switch. It's my understanding that I have to get a flasher module to hook in with the strobe light switch?
For the back I was wondering if theres a way to set the cargo light up on a switch as a strobe?
I'd rather have the strobes up high, so what are the options for rear lighting that's not bumper height and preferably not an eye sore like what I've seen?
Lastly, similar to the cargo light question, is there a way to hook the side marker lights up to a switch as strobes? Thanks!

PitchforkR

Reaction score
The short answer to all of that is yes. It will take a bit of creativity, but it’s all possible. I can only help you with the side leds. The harness for them is at the right side of top of the driver’s footwell. I hotwired my switch to work with the truck off or at above 5mph. In theory, you could rig that up to work with a strobe module. The rear cargo light harness runs up to the front in one of the door sills. But i would think it would be easier (and less intrusive to your factory wiring) to add one of the 3rd bake light options that allows you to add off road lights and wire those to your strobe controller like you would your fogs.
https://gj-motorsports.com/Ford-F-150-Raptor-2010-2014-3rd-Brake-Light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
zmessmer

zmessmer

Reaction score
"The short answer to all of that is yes. It will take a bit of creativity, but it’s all possible. I can only help you with the side leds. The harness for them is at the right side of top of the driver’s footwell. I hotwired my switch to work with the truck off or at above 5mph. In theory, you could rig that up to work with a strobe module. The rear cargo light harness runs up to the front in one of the door sills. But i would think it would be easier (and less intrusive to your factory wiring) to add one of the 3rd bake light options that allows you to add off road lights and wire those to your strobe controller like you would your fogs.
https://gj-motorsports.com/Ford-F-15...rd-Brake-Light"

Thanks for the input!

TedB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing the same, but with the Evil Manufacturing 3rd brake light.

Will be installing some OTRATTW switches with the Baja Design amber Sport tied to a Whelen flasher with the steady burn feature. Allows me to choose steady burn or a strobe pattern You can save some $ and use relays instead, but this was much easier for my purpose.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 182
  • whelen.jpg
    whelen.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
zmessmer

zmessmer

Reaction score
Wiring

I'm in the process of doing the same, but with the Evil Manufacturing 3rd brake light.

Will be installing some OTRATTW switches with the Baja Design amber Sport tied to a Whelen flasher with the steady burn feature. Allows me to choose steady burn or a strobe pattern You can save some $ and use relays instead, but this was much easier for my purpose.

So how are you connecting it? removing the trim in the cabin to run a wire to the fuse box? have you found a step by step for the wiring?

TedB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how are you connecting it? removing the trim in the cabin to run a wire to the fuse box? have you found a step by step for the wiring?

So far I've only mounted the light and ran the amber and white lights wiring into the cabin via rear of headliner (very easy to pop off and push wire into) and drop to the floor via rear passenger back seat panel, was a breeze.

The OTRATTW (over the river and through the woods) switches came in but I'm very hesitant, read chicken :biggrin:, about cutting the headliner to mount them (http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/custom-rocker-switches-38497/#post776158)

After the headliner cut simple relays and fuse block mounted in the passengers foot-well. Have a few other lights to be wired, etc.

I'll tap into the fuse block for a power source, so far, most of the lights I will be adding are low draw, 1-3 amps tops.

I'm going to complete the project once I have the house empty for a few hours, hopefully this Friday :)

I'll document and post everything once done, but a fairly simple project.

OP
OP
zmessmer

zmessmer

Reaction score
So far I've only mounted the light and ran the amber and white lights wiring into the cabin via rear of headliner (very easy to pop off and push wire into) and drop to the floor via rear passenger back seat panel, was a breeze.

The OTRATTW (over the river and through the woods) switches came in but I'm very hesitant, read chicken :biggrin:, about cutting the headliner to mount them (http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/custom-rocker-switches-38497/#post776158)

After the headliner cut simple relays and fuse block mounted in the passengers foot-well. Have a few other lights to be wired, etc.

I'll tap into the fuse block for a power source, so far, most of the lights I will be adding are low draw, 1-3 amps tops.

I'm going to complete the project once I have the house empty for a few hours, hopefully this Friday :)

I'll document and post everything once done, but a fairly simple project.

Okay, so you don't have stock upfitter switches in the ceiling then. Do you know how many amps each of the existing lights in the 3rd brake light are pulling? And it would be greatly appreciated if you posted your process when you're done.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very fitting that it's called the Game Changer lol. Definitely want one of these when it's out! Can't wait