GEN 1 Stripped spark plug threads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gn1raptor

Reaction score
Having a bit of a problem, upon removal of the first spark plug on the passenger low side ( right near shock tower) the threads appeared to be pretty chewed up, i cannot thread a new plug in all the way. Would a Save a thread type kit hold up over time if i go ahead and repair the threads with the insert? i don't think chasing the threads will work as they are in pretty rough shape. the tools on some of these repair kits (time-sert) appear to be way too long to fit in between the hole and the shock tower. if anyone has experience with this issue id appreciate any advice, not a huge fan of the idea but i don't have many options.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having a bit of a problem, upon removal of the first spark plug on the passenger low side ( right near shock tower) the threads appeared to be pretty chewed up, i cannot thread a new plug in all the way. Would a Save a thread type kit hold up over time if i go ahead and repair the threads with the insert? i don't think chasing the threads will work as they are in pretty rough shape. the tools on some of these repair kits (time-sert) appear to be way too long to fit in between the hole and the shock tower. if anyone has experience with this issue id appreciate any advice, not a huge fan of the idea but i don't have many options.

drill out the threads set the new plug in place and weld it to the block....then sell the truck..

obviously kidding...

sorry this blows.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are the spark plug threads stripped? Maybe the threads in the cyl head just need to be cleaned better, if not, can you put the old one back in?

OP
OP
G

gn1raptor

Reaction score
B74rmoo.jpg

this is what it looked like, i removed all of that crud anyways which allowed me to start threading in a new one. that's the only shot i snapped with the little borescope camera i have

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks more like the threads are dirty. hard to tell tho, Good luck either way i would leave that to a pro, but the right way would be to pull the head to fix it so you don't get shavings in there

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks more like the threads are dirty. hard to tell tho, Good luck either way i would leave that to a pro, but the right way would be to pull the head to fix it so you don't get shavings in there
nah.... multiple shards of metal mean more sparks. more powaaah.....

actually i too think the threads are just dirty. i dont see any damage on the threads, but we would need to see the other side

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
B74rmoo.jpg

this is what it looked like, i removed all of that crud anyways which allowed me to start threading in a new one. that's the only shot i snapped with the little borescope camera i have

pull the inner fender liner to give yourself some more room. buy a 90 degree pvc elbow large enough to cover the plug hole attach the other end to a vacumn. drill a hole in the top of the elbow and attach a wire bore brusho for cleaning shotgun barrels cause of the extended pole they screw into, through the hole in the pvc and in to a drill you can now wire brush the threads with the vacumn sucking out as much debris as possible. should def get you into a better place at determining potential damage.

something like this for reference

upload_2020-7-29_22-38-20.png

OP
OP
G

gn1raptor

Reaction score
pull the inner fender liner to give yourself some more room. buy a 90 degree pvc elbow large enough to cover the plug hole attach the other end to a vacumn. drill a hole in the top of the elbow and attach a wire bore brusho for cleaning shotgun barrels cause of the extended pole they screw into, through the hole in the pvc and in to a drill you can now wire brush the threads with the vacumn sucking out as much debris as possible. should def get you into a better place at determining potential damage.

something like this for reference

View attachment 148788
Thanks for that post

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the vacuum idea.

I have seen a thread chaser for spark plug threads. If you can get your hands on one, use that.

Something I have done in the shop - grind a flat or a groove (longitudinally) on a old spark plug. Apply grease so that the crud sticks to the grease. Take it slow and don’t try to chase the threads all at once. Ensure that it’s going in straight. Check your work as you go.

Looking at your pic, perhaps some of the threads are buggered. The rest looks like crud/old anti seize.

Hope that helps and good luck-keep us up to date.

wharridge

Reaction score
I had one that took the outermost threads with it when I removed it. Using a rifle bore cleaning brush I cleaned what was left, and used an old plug to help clean up/realign the remaining threads. Then used some anti seize to lubricate the new plug going in. Haven’t had an issue since then, 2000 miles ago.