Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Street traction problem with open rear??

Discussion in 'Prospective Raptor Owners' started by LVGH, Dec 2, 2020.

1. LVGH

LVGH Member

Since (as I understand) the rear differential on a Raptor is open (i.e. non posi) doesn't that create a traction problem on the street? Yes, I know the differential can be electronically locked, but that is not usable for street driving. With a typical light rear end pickup, and the higher HP and torque of a Raptor, it just seems like that would not be good for street driving. I used to live in Seattle where the streets were usually wet and would hate driving with only one wheel for traction.

2. Geoffmp

Geoffmp Full Access Member

Anytime I drive in rain, especially the highway with standing water I just put it in 4a. Works great

sixshooter_45, jondle and FordTechOne like this.
  3. xrocket21

xrocket21 FRF Addict

I never get one tire fire in 2wd

Bitsniffer likes this.
  4. Denvertaco07

Denvertaco07 Full Access Member

I haven't had any issues...and I drive it like I stole it all the time.

Oh, sorry, that is on dry pavement. Wet, I just drive normal, but yeah, the beauty of 4A is that it is like any other SUV 4WD system at that time, safe for dry or wet.

Unlike most normal trucks, which feature a 4WD mode that locks both axles together, the Raptor's "4 Auto" mode uses a wet multi-plate clutch to distribute power between the front and rear axles as traction demands, just like an all-wheel drive system. So it allows for slip, even on pavement, meaning you can drive it anywhere without the binding and strange behavior of a locked 4WD system.

5. Sozzy12

Sozzy12 FRF Addict

The traction control system can mimic a limited slip.

KeithV likes this.
  6. goblues38

goblues38 FRF Addict

same......they both spin for me when it breaks loose,

7. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

This is sound advice and it’s worth noting that even in 4a, with all the electro-nannies at full power, you can still get the truck WAY out of shape if you’re ham fisted with the throttle. For me, she’s always been communicative about when to let off; mostly because you’re going in one direction while the truck is pointed another way.

You just have to do your part. Weather mode will soften the power delivery a bit too but normal mode in 4a is plenty tame enough for even hard rain.

sixshooter_45 likes this.
  8. Brent M

Brent M Member

9. amREADY

amREADY Full Access Member

Just north of you... a bit of a 'rain expert' you might say and this is a good question. But rest assured, not an issue for the reasons shared already.

In fact, a posi rear might hook up well but when they do break traction, you can go for a bit of a ride. They can also 'push' the front end through corners like a half track...depending on the posi and how easy or hard they 'break' for a turn.

Light to medium rain, 2wd is fine. Dry and on the gas really hard - really composed and no '1 tire fire '(I like that).

Heavy rain or medium rain and steep hills, I use 4A. Light to medium snow, 4A. Really slippery, steep, or challenging snow 4WD.

You can turn the nannies off like traction and stability control or leave them on. The drive modes change them too. All pretty well thought out actually.

Slippery mode - unless you have a lot of black or glare ice or some super slippery silty mud, I hate it. If I was going to get someone to drive my truck who was a bad driver, slippery would be good...it really mutes the inputs. I find it is more of a liability than anything, but have used it on ice.

There is a locker for the rear. I haven't used it on the road except in deep snow. Off road it can be really helpful but most of the time for most of the offroad it isn't needed. When you do need it, it is a game changer.

I have the torsen front diff and so far, again, really happy with it.

If you are in the SCREW, then the weight distribution front to rear is like 53/47% or something. Not quite 5050 without a load in the back, but not like pickups of old with a big block and 8' bed. It makes it really planted. I have a rack and tonneau and that adds about 150 lbs static which is a benefit, but not necessary.

10. Peterb

Peterb Full Access Member

I’m wondering about this, is there a brake based torque vectoring type system to control wheel spin ?