Strange Trans Behavior - Dealership "can't" duplicate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaLav

Reaction score
I had a 2013 Silver SCREW and in the winter of 2017/2018, after about 5 minutes of idle, the engine felt rough for the first 5 minutes of my morning commute on local roads. Once I made it to the highway, it smoothed out. Dealership/Service Center could not replicate. This roughness went away in the spring.

In January 2019, I was going 25mph and the engine downshifted from 4th to first and back up to 4th again. Dealership/Service Center could not replicate.

In February 2019, I was going 55mph on the highway and the engine downshifted from 6th to 4th, back to 6th, and dropped to 5th gear and stayed there. I was 1 mile from the Dealership/Service Center and went straight there. They couldn't see it until the morning so I left it overnight. I called my wife to have her pick me up. During the conversation, she said, "You know, the truck is at 96K miles... maybe you should get a new one." OH SNAP!!!

It was an easy fix.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a week with the truck, and a yet to be known number of miles driven (as I'm picking it up this evening), I've been told they can't reproduce it, thus will be doing nothing.

They say that it is not throwing a single code, thus they don't do anything, even though we were aligned on explanation. So, its my understanding now that it will take some kind of event before they are willing to do something.

I planned to have the trans flushed at 60k. So I will have to see what that does (I'm at 57ish now). Ugh, what a crap experience. If the 60k flush does not solve the problem, I guess i will be swapping the lead frame myself. Kinda make the ESP a little worthless.

This obstacle situation has me a little curious about Ford's implementation of the ESP, especially considering I was spitballing the idea of trading my camaro in for a Focus RS (which would definitely have an ESP on it), as I want to remove the Raptor from DD duty.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It there's not a light on, a hole in it, or oil leaking from it- it ain't getting fixed.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its a frustrating scenario, but the dealership can do something... the one you go to just wont.
The service manager can initiate a call to Ford to help. You may want to call the customer service 800 number and ask for the regional rep just to plead your case.

Me personally, I would find a good trans shop, say "**** you to Ford" and get it fixed right...the first time. The trans shop is half way there if they are pulling the pan to change fluid and filter...
Your ESP will get used somewhere else.