GEN 1 Strange Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a weird one.

A couple weeks ago I took a trip up to Killpecker sand dunes in Wyoming. This was about a six hour drive toying my toyhauler camper. No issues on the drive. When I got there I discovered that a friend had already crashed/wrecked his RZR. It was still out in the dunes and the other SxS couldn't winch it out. They needed the Raptor, and it was already getting dark. Ok, fine. Off to the dunes we go as soon as we unhitch. Once we get pretty close to the RZR my steering suddenly has issues. It was as if there was a giant detent or something I had to push past at maybe 1 o'clock on the steering wheel (both directions). The steering was fine except every time I had to get past the one spot it took just about all I've got to pull/push the wheel past it. It kept happening repeatedly and then kind of came and went. After the recovery there were a few more bouts of the issue repeating itself. The next day again it happened occasionally, but not much. After that I haven't experienced it again - even after some more abuse in the dunes, lots more driving home/towing, driving around town, etc. It kind of seems like it only happened with the steering being very warm from the long drive. There were plenty of times in the dunes it was just fine, then an occasional issue. I have my guesses on the issue, but what say you Raptor forum? I can't get it to do it anymore, but I betcha the next time I try to go have fun somewhere, WHAM, here comes the problem again.

Raptor is a 2012 with a Roush supercharger and just over 100K miles on it. Steering is stock other than aftermarket tie rods. Stock sized tires (Duratracs). Belt is good and I heard no whining or anything of note during the episodes. Fluid level is normal, no leaks. I did go through a steering pump early many years ago - at 20K miles or so, and it was replaced under warranty.