Strange noise 2020 gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rjp4419

Reaction score
I came from Toyota, had a Tundra for 10 years. I’ve almost run out of local Ford dealers to take my truck to, the experience has been that bad.

Toyota is light years ahead in service quality and experience.

If the Raptor didn’t exist I’d be back in a Toyota or Lexus no question

i came from a Tacoma pro. If the tundra pro wasn’t so expensive for what it was I’d be driving that.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i came from a Tacoma pro. If the tundra pro wasn’t so expensive for what it was I’d be driving that.

The Tundra **** pRo can't compare the Raptor in any regard; it's a joke. The interior is playskool quality and the frame is more pliable than wet pasta. Go to the Tundra forums, you'll see plenty of quality issues and dealer complaints. Their issues are generally much more serious and expensive; cam tower oil leaks ($5,000 out of warranty), air injection pump failure ($3,500 out of warranty), and of course the notorious frame rust, which Toyota lost a $3.4 Billion class action lawsuit over. And they still charge owners for any miscellaneous parts that break during the frame replacement procedure, which often amounts to more than the vehicle is worth.

I'm not trying to justify poor customer service at Ford dealers. As I mentioned, they're franchises, and they get to dictate how they manage their business. Ford sells almost 1 million F-Series per year compared to Toyota's 87,000. Lexus is very low volume compared with any mainstream brand. Last time I was at the local Ford Quick Lane I waited 3 hours for an oil change...and all they do there is maintenance.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disagree.

I service Lexus at the dealer (oil change, etc..). Always get a loaner if I need to leave a car with them for more than an hour, or they always offer a gift card to local shops if I'm okay to wait while they change the oil or rotate tires. Techs are very knowledgeable, my car comes back with full inspection checklist, washed and cleaned. And that's not warranty service, nothing more than an oil change.

Last issue I had is some moisture in the headlight... Lexus replaced both headlights, no questions asked even although opposite headlight was perfect. And these are $2,000/ea headlights, according to invoice. No questions asked, zero cost to me, repairs completed in less than a day.

So yes, when shock or pump is making a noise Ford should honor the repair without giving customer hard time or blaming it on "normal". If that's normal, I wouldn't trust that tech with anything.

There is absolutely no reason to settle for crappy service or accept nonsense runaround.

You can't compare a "luxury" brand (I use that term very loosely with Lexus) with a non-luxury brand.

If you buy a new Lincoln, you get better customer service than what you've described with Lexus. Lincoln will come to your house or work, drop off a loaner, and take your vehicle back to the dealer for service. They'll then drive the vehicle back to you to exchange the loaner. If you choose to bring it to the dealer for service, a free loaner that is the equivalent (or nicer) than your vehicle is provided, gift cards with shuttle service to local shopping is provided, and of course a complimentary (typically hand wash) car wash is included. If you buy a Lincoln Black Label, you get free car washes any time you'd like, a free full detail once per year, complimentary maintenance, and a night on the town at a Michelin Star restaurant all on Lincoln's dime.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My complaint with my local dealer (Galpin) is that they’re just too damn busy. I do my own oil changes and such, but one time I tried to get in because it was throwing codes (I ended up getting it sorted myself), and they literally weren’t even taking appointments for anything other than maintenance. Sure, I could drive further and get in at another dealer, but I’m dreading the day that I actually need something serviced that I can’t handle myself.

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tundra **** pRo can't compare the Raptor in any regard; it's a joke. The interior is playskool quality and the frame is more pliable than wet pasta. Go to the Tundra forums, you'll see plenty of quality issues and dealer complaints. Their issues are generally much more serious and expensive; cam tower oil leaks ($5,000 out of warranty), air injection pump failure ($3,500 out of warranty), and of course the notorious frame rust, which Toyota lost a $3.4 Billion class action lawsuit over. And they still charge owners for any miscellaneous parts that break during the frame replacement procedure, which often amounts to more than the vehicle is worth.

I'm not trying to justify poor customer service at Ford dealers. As I mentioned, they're franchises, and they get to dictate how they manage their business. Ford sells almost 1 million F-Series per year compared to Toyota's 87,000. Lexus is very low volume compared with any mainstream brand. Last time I was at the local Ford Quick Lane I waited 3 hours for an oil change...and all they do there is maintenance.

3 hours??? I'm thankful that my local Ford dealer is sounding like a class act - which they are (Champion). 1-1.5 hours for an oil change and tire rotation without an appointment is great, imo. And if I don't want to wait around they'll give me a ride home and pick me up when it's done.

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is that why the tundra has a higher resale than the F-150? I’m not arguing that the Raptor is in a league of its own, it’s an amazing truck! the quality of service is just not there comparing to Toyota and I’ve tried multiple dealers. This has been my experience thus far

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Is that why the tundra has a higher resale than the F-150? I’m not arguing that the Raptor is in a league of its own, it’s an amazing truck! the quality of service is just not there comparing to Toyota and I’ve tried multiple dealers. This has been my experience thus far

Pretty sure this has been hashed out, all over the web, maybe in real life too. :^). There is a perception that toyota is better. Fact is, they seldomly update a damn thing. Over the years, models all using the same parts, etc, the techs can do the repairs in a fraction of book time since they do the same shit every day. First in, first out, with a quickness. Cutting edge technology, they are not, and the techs probably make good money on warranty work, 'cause muscle memory.

Don't get me wrong, Ford service leaves a lot to be desired. I have to take mine in for a weird lump under the leather in the steering wheel, before the factory warranty goes out next week. It will be the 2nd time it's been in the shop, both for minor issues. I am dreading how long it will take. I did buy the Flood ESP and got a new F150 xlt loaner the first time, so I was never out of a truck to drive. I imagine the same when I take it in this time.

Anyway, who would buy a damn Japanese truck to begin with?

rwmgd2

Reaction score
My 2020 is doing the same thing. It’s absolutely the Fox Shocks. You can feel them vibrate when it’s happening. Did you get a resolution? My truck is going into the dealership tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rjp4419

Reaction score
Update: went to the dealer yesterday and had the solenoid for the passenger rear shock replaced.

The noise is still happening. They ordered a complete shock assembly this time (they told me they did that initially) and have an appointment scheduled for the repair.

Chad wiley

Reaction score
Did they get the shocks replaced? My raptor has been in the shop for a week for the same buzzing shock issue. Ford told them to replace solenoid but didn’t fix. Now dealer say they have to wait for an approval from ford to order a shock assembly. Very frustrating.