Strange lighting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my bed cargo light suddenly stopped working when I swapped my recon 3rd brake light back in once I decided to return the factory I had just ordered as I ultimately decided to get the GJ. So I noticed the cargo on the recon didnt work once reinstalled but thought nothing of it because I knew in a few days I was swapping in the GJ motorsports, so didnt investigate. Well swapped in the GJ today and still nothing, all interior lights funtion(as im told their on the same circuit). I see nothing shorted out and no ground wires would have been tampered with. 3 red marker lights work as well as the amber squadrons on the sides, the middle squadron taking the place of the cargo is the one not functioning... All DTCs cleared just in case, still nothing?!?

Last edited:

IDI-Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had this issue with my GJ it wound up being a harness issue. When they built the adapter harness the connections weren't terminated correctly, resulting in no continuity between the terminals and the wires.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cargo lamp is powered by an Field Effect Transistor (FET) in the BCM. The factory cargo lamp is incandescent; if you installed an LED light, the BCM may see it as a low current fault and set a DTC. After the DTC sets a predetermined number of times, it disables the circuit output. If the fault remains present, the BCM will eventually set a permanent failure code which requires replacement of the module.

A standard OBD can tool cannot read BCM DTCs. You you have ForScan?

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had this issue with my GJ it wound up being a harness issue. When they built the adapter harness the connections weren't terminated correctly, resulting in no continuity between the terminals and the wires.
It was exactly this, thank you all for your replies. Easy fix but seems like a common problem with the provided harness. Glad I didn't go chasing wiring all day long. I believe the recon is also wired up weirdly and the colors dont match as one would assume, so when I temporarily threw that in im sure I just wired it wrong. All worked out in the end.

IDI-Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was exactly this, thank you all for your replies. Easy fix but seems like a common problem with the provided harness. Glad I didn't go chasing wiring all day long. I believe the recon is also wired up weirdly and the colors dont match as one would assume, so when I temporarily threw that in im sure I just wired it wrong. All worked out in the end.
Glad you got it squared away. If my memory is right, I recall 5-6 cases of the same issue on here.

GrabberBlue

Reaction score
I just installed my GJ 3rd Brake Light and am also having issues with the cargo light circuit. The center light works with the reverse light circuit perfectly. Already checked FORScan, did a 30 minute battery reset and plugged in the stock unit to isolate that it is something with the GJ harness.

What did you guys do specifically to resolve your issues?

roush_14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cargo lamp is powered by an Field Effect Transistor (FET) in the BCM. The factory cargo lamp is incandescent; if you installed an LED light, the BCM may see it as a low current fault and set a DTC. After the DTC sets a predetermined number of times, it disables the circuit output. If the fault remains present, the BCM will eventually set a permanent failure code which requires replacement of the module.

A standard OBD can tool cannot read BCM DTCs. You you have ForScan?
Am I reading this right? If the vehicle has a failed bulb and you ignore it and or do not fix it, it can cause BCM failure where it would need replacement?

GrabberBlue

Reaction score
I just installed my GJ 3rd Brake Light and am also having issues with the cargo light circuit. The center light works with the reverse light circuit perfectly. Already checked FORScan, did a 30 minute battery reset and plugged in the stock unit to isolate that it is something with the GJ harness.

What did you guys do specifically to resolve your issues?
Thanks to https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/what-did-u-do-to-your-raptor-today.25089/post-1700900 for fixing it. The white wire with red crimp was the issue, it seems GJ has a bit of a QC issue on their hand with this being the 7th on the forum. Recrimped on a new connector and good to go now.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? If the vehicle has a failed bulb and you ignore it and or do not fix it, it can cause BCM failure where it would need replacement?
It would take thousands of cycles. And an open is much different from low current caused by an aftermarket LED.