Strange AC issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Druepy

Reaction score
About 2 months ago my AC stopped blowing one day but then randomly a few days later it kicked back on. Since then the AC has been blowing cold and has been operating normally. Now I am moving about a quarter mile down the road have been making runs back an forth multiple times a day. Turning the truck on and off very frequently. The AC has stopped again. Does this on/off behavior suggest an issue in particular to yall? I have some coworkers who used to do AC recharges and servicing but haven't been able to give me much of a lead. We did notice that the first time this happened the AC clutch was not spinning. That's all that seems out of the ordinary. Thoughts?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does it stop all together? or are there signs of air blowing? my ac will randomly stop and i found that under the passenger side below the glove box there is a plug. if i wiggled the wires it would start working again. something to do with the connection there. havent dove into it yet though

OP
OP
Druepy

Druepy

Reaction score
does it stop all together? or are there signs of air blowing? my ac will randomly stop and i found that under the passenger side below the glove box there is a plug. if i wiggled the wires it would start working again. something to do with the connection there. havent dove into it yet though

Yes, I noticed that if the AC is on, no air blows out. Not hot or cold. When the AC is off and the temperature is turned up at least a little comes out.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that if the AC is on, no air blows out. Not hot or cold. When the AC is off and the temperature is turned up at least a little comes out.
thats probably from the recirc button. try checking the wires below the glove box. if you text me, i can send you a pic of where i have my ac issue. might be the same. (831) 254-7562

OP
OP
Druepy

Druepy

Reaction score
thats probably from the recirc button. try checking the wires below the glove box. if you text me, i can send you a pic of where i have my ac issue. might be the same. (831) 254-7562

Interesting. My recirc is on all the time. Maybe I will have different results if I turn it off. Shooting you a text.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score

So let's use the correct terms and descriptions:

The AC compressor is inside the engine compartment and is the component that cools the air. This has nothing to do with air coming out of your vents. That is the job of the blower.

The blower is a fan inside your cabin, behind the dashboard, that pushes air out of your vents. This has nothing to do with whether the air will be cold or hot.

When the AC system is on, you set the temp. Down for colder. Up for hotter.

If "recirc" is on, and the blower is off, you will get no air out of the vents.

If 'recirc' is off, and the blower is off, you will get a little air, from the outside, through the vents.

From what you described:

- you turn your AC system on, no fan comes on and therefore no air movement from the system - blower motor/electrical issue
- when the AC system is on and air is coming out, it's behaving normally (nice and cold etc)

I would say you have a blower motor issue. If you have the ability, poke around and try to locate electrical plugs as mentioned earlier. It's not a fuse since you say that it does come on at times, though check that as well for oddities. When the system comes on, you say the air is cold so it's not a freon charge issue directly related to your problem.

It could be as simple as a connector that has come loose or as major as the fan is on it's way out.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Druepy

Druepy

Reaction score

The Car Stereo Company saves the day. He text me a picture of a connector under the passenger dash like the on below. I pushed on the connector around a bit and the AC kicked on. Seems like a bad connection.

So let's use the correct terms and descriptions:

The AC compressor is inside the engine compartment and is the component that cools the air. This has nothing to do with air coming out of your vents. That is the job of the blower.

The blower is a fan inside your cabin, behind the dashboard, that pushes air out of your vents. This has nothing to do with whether the air will be cold or hot.

When the AC system is on, you set the temp. Down for colder. Up for hotter.

If "recirc" is on, and the blower is off, you will get no air out of the vents.

If 'recirc' is off, and the blower is off, you will get a little air, from the outside, through the vents.

From what you described:

- you turn your AC system on, no fan comes on and therefore no air movement from the system - blower motor/electrical issue
- when the AC system is on and air is coming out, it's behaving normally (nice and cold etc)

I would say you have a blower motor issue. If you have the ability, poke around and try to locate electrical plugs as mentioned earlier. It's not a fuse since you say that it does come on at times, though check that as well for oddities. When the system comes on, you say the air is cold so it's not a freon charge issue directly related to your problem.

It could be as simple as a connector that has come loose or as major as the fan is on it's way out.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info. Seem like it was one of the easier issue. Bad connection.

IMG_20190729_205553.jpg