Storing Heavy Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hitit:I need helping trying to secure my Axe, extinguisher, and shovel. I am a fairly avid off-roader, but this is my first Rapter and "high speed" buggy which obviously brings a whole different level of securing issues.

I have tried many ways to secure my tools, with no luck. My last attempt was to use the proprietary mounting system from Built-right industries and fist clamps. Within the first hour of my run, both of my axe clamps, and my extinguisher clamps broke.

The only decent mounting points I really have in my truck I made myself, which are D rings I placed on the bed bolts. I also Pop riveted some RotoPax mounts to the front portion of my bed which have held up fine as well.

If anyone has any information or pictures to share I would greatly appreciate.

In addition, what is the best way to place sodas (and beer of course) in a cooler? The last 3 times I went out, every can was destroyed within 30 minutes. I tried the towel trick with no luck, Maybe someone can offer some advice. I have a few multi day trips coming up so I am trying to get all the bugs worked out on my day trips.

Cheers!!

Attachments

• Axe Clamps.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 84

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Raptor Overland post has a link to an in cab, driver’s or passenger seat bracket mount, I used it to mount a 2.5# extinguisher. It’s well out of the way but you can still get to it from the driver’s seat, and as near as I can tell allows a full range of seat travel.

Do they have to be in the bed? I’m thinking you may be able to host at least the axe in the cab; molle seat bottom covers - they won’t take my belt fed MG, but they’ll hold my Mac10, and a couple rifles, so an axe ought to be fine unless you’re Paul Bunyan.

The shovel - I presume you mean a full size shovel, not some fold up e-tool. If you can downsize, see the above solution. I have a fold up e-tool mounted on the seats but admit I want to get one of the older collar lock e-tools.

Obviously, a full size shovel in the cab is eventually going to find it’s way upside someone’s head, so for securing in the bed I’m not thinking of anything you haven’t tried already.

For the sodas and beer, if you’re busting cans, it’s probably because they’re in free recoil, impacting and bursting. they have to have zero room to move vertically and horizontally, and the lid has to be secured on top them and not come loose. Easy to type, and like you, this thing will do a lot more off road than any of my previous 4x4 so maybe someone has some bright ideas.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i would give maxpedition tactie molle straps on the builtrite panels a try.

those freaking straps are strong as hell. I've ****** machine gun barrels lashed to my back with them and those are far heavier than an axe or shovel.

I've got a bunch of quickfist clamps on my panels too. I was able to bust one on my flashlight just by lashing it and unlashing it a few dozen times while test fitting everything on the panels.

you're making me rethink using the quickfists.

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A custom made headache rack that can hold all your things is another idea.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a few maxpedition straps on Amazon to try them out. Thanks for the idea!

I really think fist clamps are good for regular vehicles going to low speed trails, and Raptors going to Starbucks. They have no place holding real tools, going high speed in the desert. They just get demolished instantly.
@Truckkarl I like your headache rack idea. Unfortunately I live in Southern CA, so sometimes parking garages are a must.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

@smurfslayer thanks for your input. My cooler was decided 100 percent and the top has really strong straps (orca cooler, which I love.)

The problem is the cans inside get jarred to no end. I tried the towel approach, but it of course got wet, and the cans were able to move just enough to wreck havoc upon one another.

Maybe I'll wrap each on in duct tape, haha

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
For the cans, you might try protecting them with cheap neoprene bottle koozies. If you just zip them all the way up, the cans will have protection. Or, if they will fit in your cooler, you could go with a six pack holder like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E652Y4O/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

or this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GSKOC2/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

this is a great idea. i have about 500 coozies that are left over from work events. now i dont feel so stupid for throwing them in a box and storing them.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hitit:I need helping trying to secure my Axe, extinguisher, and shovel.

Was thinking about this the other day and remembered there was one on ebay I was considering for shovel/axe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/shovel-mount-and-axe-mounting-bracket-set/352110062922?hash=item51fb652d4a:g:CEUAAOSwVupTm7Hm&vxp=mtr

I don't know how well it would work or if the relatively thin width would eventually chew through the handles. Looking on there today there's also these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lockable-Tool-Holder-Shovel-Broom-Rake-Organizer-Mount-Rack-MADE-IN-USA-DB2/152885651612?hash=item2398b1e89c:g:WNIAAOSw3v5Yrbrg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lockable-Tool-Holder-Shovel-Broom-Rake-Organizer-Mount-Rack-MADE-IN-USA-DD2/152885652555?hash=item2398b1ec4b:g:bqUAAOSwfVpYrcDb

Again, I haven't tried either one but with a padlock or hairpin at least they wouldn't fall out and fly around the truck bed...

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JSRick80,
Xpedition Ready Design made a great system for the Gen 1. You could configure it any way you liked. Well made, expertly packed, and has stood up to everything I have thrown at it...
auction-xrd-bed-rack-41432

Eddie

Attachments

• XpeditionReadyDesign.jpg
    XpeditionReadyDesign.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: