Stock wheels and spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Lots of guys are against this move especially if you start adding 1/4"+ spacers. Your spacer becomes the weakest link in the chain. and things can bad really quick. My advice, if you're dead set on spacing out the factory wheel, buy the highest quality possible and keep spacer size to a minimum. Even better advice....don't do it, or simply buy aftermarket wheels with an offset that kicks the tire out to your liking.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
More than one thread on this already. I was considering it as well but just went aftermarket wheels with proper fitment

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the end goal? Just to have the wheels and tires stick out more?

I ended up with a new set of wheels and tires on my '14 just so I could fit chains. Chains won't fit on the stock fronts. Haven't decided yet if I'll just swap wheels & tires as needed or get another set for the '17.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any functional value to spacing wheels out or is it just cosmetic.

Factory wheels are hub centric which means the wheel has a round recess machined in the back that is perfectly centered and the hub has a matching size ridge that fits well into the factory wheels. This serves two purposes: 1) Much of the load at the tire and wheel is transferred to the hub via the ridge/recess and not via the lug studs. 2) The wheel is perfectly centered on the hub running very true. Without the hub centric wheel the centering is dependent on how perfectly the studs are placed on the hub by the OEM who is not depending on their precise location, and by how perfectly the chinese wheel manufacturer drilled the wheels. Why would wheel manufacturers make what they call "Lug Centric" wheels when they are clearly inferior? Cost. they can manufacture and stock fewer versions. Now, use wheel spacers and you introduce yet another set of manufacturing tolerances to the problem.

This site is littered with people who have wheel balance and vibration issues. I believe most of these are not balance or tire problems but rather a problem brought about by moving from superior hub centric to inferior lug centric mounting of the wheels to the truck. I don't know if wheel spacers are made by anyone such that they are hub centric? If so you would not have the tolerance issue above but you would need to run stock or only hub centric wheels.

https://www.thoughtco.com/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels-3234497

Last edited: