Stock VS Modded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VelociRaptorSVT

Reaction score
Simple question. If you were looking to buy a Gen1, where would stock vs modded be prioritized with mileage, accident history, # of previous owners, etc? Would you value a more stock truck to mod to your liking, or try to find something already modded how you like it?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer to do my own modifications. However, if I find a used vehicle that has modifications I would do myself, I consider that a benefit as it will save me the money and time. It is hard to find one with everything you want, but as long as there is nothing I do NOT like, I would buy it over a stock truck.

On a new vehicle, I will never buy one modified by the dealer due to their tremendous markups.

OP
OP
V

VelociRaptorSVT

Reaction score
I prefer to do my own modifications. However, if I find a used vehicle that has modifications I would do myself, I consider that a benefit as it will save me the money and time. It is hard to find one with everything you want, but as long as there is nothing I do NOT like, I would buy it over a stock truck.

On a new vehicle, I will never buy one modified by the dealer due to their tremendous markups.

Good insight. Thanks. I've seen some very nice heavily modded trucks going for good prices on this forum, and in the back of my head I'm thinking they're losing money on the sale. On the other hand, there's something attractive to getting a ****** truck as well, and they're becoming more rare as time goes on. I see benefits to both.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I second that motion... As long as the mods are tasteful and the truck is not otherwise beat to hell, I'd consider it.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill sell mine 53k miles no mods other than headlights and new JBL speakers and Kenwood amp. All professionally installed. Never even bought home a pizza in this thing. I have only allowed my kids to have bottled water in this truck. She's clean

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having seen "mods" that other people have done over the years, I'd look for stock.

I'll never forget the year-old, used Mystichrome 2004 Cobra I saw. One of the guys who worked for our local tuner had bought it. The PO had cut the intake tube and RTV'ed a CAI kit on there. It was THE most janky shit I've ever seen on a car that wasn't ready for the junkyard. That was a $30K car at the time. Oddly enough, it probably still is a $30K car 15 years later.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm Mod Specific, so I generally look stock first. Like TXR said, when you find a truck that has some of the things that you were already planning to do, its money in the bank...As long as it was done right!

Most Raptors you find for sale with mod's are of two groups. The guys that love their truck and shine the shit out of it for going to the mall ( bumpers, Light Bars and 20 inch wheels) And the off road minded that upgrade Deavers, 3.0's or bigger shocks, 37's, custom tunes, lights, bed cages, Radio's and Com's.

What are you after?

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer trucks closer to stock when possible when dealing with engine work/mods.

Rather be the first to put the blower on the truck, so I know who tuned it, how aggressive the tune was etc...

That being said, you can find out real fast how well the truck was cared for. And that's what I look for more than if it has a bit more miles or mods.