Stock tire replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amich

Reaction score
I primarily use my truck on road not off-road. With a standard 2018 Gen 2 wheEl does anyone have recommendations for a quieter Replacement tire? The only mother requirement is I live in snow country and need a good tread for snow. Thanks

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have had duratracs and they are very good in the snow. Have had these on both my gen 1 and now 17 gen 2. Live in the Colorado mountains at 8200 ft elevation so yes I drive in snow a lot. As far noise goes these tires aren't any louder than any other 35 inch tire. If you want a quiet tire buy a sports car and put Z rated tires on it.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Duratracs are considerably louder than ko2, and they get worse with mileage... I will never buy another set strictly due to the noise.

OP if you are not going to use it off road much look for a dedicated highway tire with a snowflake rating, or a mild all terrain with snowflake rating. I have had excellent experience with grabber atx for snow and they were quiet on road.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are a LOT louder than the stock KO2s. I put Duratracs on my Toyota Tacoma. Hated them. I’ve been very happy with the stock BFGs. I’ll likely buy them again when these wear out.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely I worry about road noise. These are sophisticated vehicles, why would you ruin a truck that runs quietly and fatigue free on the interstate with loud ass tires, that are totally unneccasary? It is a desert truck, the ko2 suite it perfectly, excellent speed rating, good ride quality, they are even good in the snow. Noise conscientiousness is exactly why I went with corsa exhaust instead of glasspacks. I have loud vehicles, the wind, engine and tire noise from my jeep at 65 is enough to keep me from talking to the passenger, you pretty much have to scream so it isn't worth it. My f150 will straight wear you out on a long cruise: between the noise of the 80mm turbo constantly singing and the 460 breathing out 5" exhaust it can be numbing, add that to having enough power to put you sideways on a dry interstate the fatigue is immense. My mustang is set up for road race, hitting a bump on the highway is similar to being punched in the spine, the whipple always wants to go and even with Corsa's on it it is noisy. Once you have done that some you want a vehicle you can actually relax in, the raptor rides good, steers good and is quiet until asked to make noise, I can do a thousand miles in it in a day and not feel beat to hell the next morning, I treasure that.

OP, avoid load range E, it will stiffen the ride considerably and you will never, ever use the weight capacity in a raptor. Run range C or D, you will be faster off road at speed and more comfortable in the 'hood,

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2018 I absolutely love Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Previous stock KO2s had 38k miles and we’re screaming loud. I didn’t have them new, so hard to compare but the Ridge Grapplers look aggressive and I think are very quiet highway. I also love how they handle on and off road.

I did dB readings on the “old” KO2s on the highway at 65mph and got about 75dB.
A standard 2020 F150 with basic Goodyear Wranglers 22k miles at 65mph same Highway got 64dB.
The Nitto Ridge Grapplers new on my 2018 Raptor ran about 70dB.
For reference a new Explorer got 62dB same conditions. I add that because for me it rides like a “car” and is the definition of “quiet”.

Last edited: