GEN 2 Stock Head Unit Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMY2020

Reaction score
I was hoping to see if you guys could help me as maybe I'm just having some operator issues. I recently purchased my 2020 back in November and love the truck overall, but the head unit is disappointing to say the least.

To sum up the issues I'm seeing:
- Remembering audio source - this is the biggest thing, it only remembers the previous used audio source maybe 25% of the time. For example, if I'm using spotify via phone bluetooth and kill the truck, the next morning it may be on FM, XM (which I don't even subscribe to), or Audio OFF.
- CarPlay intermittent connection - seems to connect 50% of the time I plug in
- Delayed response from commands via touch or knob control

Aside from all this the interface looks like it's 5 years old. I've tried adjusting all the settings to make this thing aesthetically as pleasing as some of the other screens on the market, but to no luck. Is there more color, background, layout options available I'm missing? Maybe with ForScan? Maybe I am just missing something.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sure what other systems you’re referring to that are more “aesthetically pleasing”, but I’m more than satisfied with my 2019 running Sync 3.4. The only system that may be considered superior to Sync 3 is FCA’s UConnect, which has received a lot of praise in reviews.

As far as the audio source, my system remembers it just fine. You may have an issue with your phone or an app. Waze for example has been known to cause a lot of issues with various infotainment systems.

CarPlay is very sensitive to a good cable connection. If f your cable is old/worn or has poor/loose pin fit, it may not recognize the phone. I ordered a heavy duty cable from Titan Power that provides a much more reliable connection.

OP
OP
BMY2020

BMY2020

Reaction score
It looks like I have not updated but I will work on that now. Thanks for letting me know, I guess I figured it would update itself.

I've heard about the WAZE thing, but it was referenced towards carplay connect/random issues. I am going to delete it and see if that helps anything related to CarPlay for sure. Do you mean that it also has something to do with the infotainment not picking up the phone as a bluetooth source? I don't think that should affect whether the audio source remembers to go back to radio, bluetooth, or my iPod via usb. Half the time I get in the truck the audio is just off, and I have never turned the vehicle off with audio off. It just makes no sense. Hopefully this update will cure whatever glitch this thing has on that front.

As far as aesthetics, personally I just don't think this screen looks anywhere near as good as some other brand units. It just looks blocky and outdated when compared to others like GM, jeep, Mazda. I feel like I may be missing something because I watched a youtube vid of a owner doing a tutorial on how to use FORScan and in the video his setup looks totally different. Personally I thought it looked better. Mainly I'm just trying to figure out if you guys know of setting adjustments I can't find. If not, I just have to live with it.

Thank you guys for the help!

OP
OP
BMY2020

BMY2020

Reaction score
Ok so when I logged into SYNC it said I had an update, but when I connected my truck to wifi, there were no updates and it says I'm on 3.4. So I guess I'm up to date, which is sad.

I've checked update, just did the system reset as mentioned above, deleted waze, checked my cord is a proper Apple cord in brand new shape. This seems to be all I can do.

I actually tried to do a CarPlay connect after I checked update and again it did nothing, did the power/forward reset and then it worked. What a joke. This whole SYNC interface is terrible considering it's equipped on a 70k truck.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Mine had few issues on 3.3, but after initial 3.4 upgrade it was pretty atrocious. Resetting fixed the vast majority of those problems.

3.4 still does have a delay in displaying controls sometimes. It seems as though it's not pre-loading visual resources for commonly requested actions, like volume and temperature adjustments. So if you're driving along, the first time you adjust volume or temp, there's a half second lag before it actually renders the on-screen indicator. After that it's loaded in memory, and it's quick.

Mine does occasionally (10%?) forget its audio source. Mainly I'll see it go from Bluetooth music to Sirius (which is silent, I don't subscribe). I think this is just an issue where the phone pairing time exceeded its max allowed.

I have mine set to always run in night mode (has plenty of contrast during day, and auto-brightness still operates). Have settled on the blue-green themes looking best to my eyes. I do wish there was more configurability there.

ForScan will let you permanently use the Lincoln theme, but in my opinion that theme is horrid. You can enable bezel diagnostics to look at other themes without ForScan. I think the key combo for that is holding next track on steering wheel and next track on head unit for a couple seconds. That takes you into bezel diagnostics, when you exit, you'll get a "test" app in your Nav for a bit that will let you change themes. Don't try the themes for 10-12" displays. It resets to default at startup IIRC. I forget exact info on this though.