Stock Front Shock Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Would it help to get a couple cheap spring compressors and just take a little of the length out? Maybe like an inch or two??

A couple of the bolt type might save a bunch of strain and they are cheap.

no because the shock shaft (which the hat is bolted to) won't compress even with the spring compressed unless the shock is totally blown. The easiest way I've found is just to pry up from under the bottom of the shock.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no because the shock shaft (which the hat is bolted to) won't compress even with the spring compressed unless the shock is totally blown. The easiest way I've found is just to pry up from under the bottom of the shock.

Thanks! Just trying to get as much good information as possible before attempting the project.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Thanks! Just trying to get as much good information as possible before attempting the project.

No problem, it's not a hard job. An impact gun makes taking the UCA, Tie Rod and Sway bar off a ton easier, then just bang on the spindle side where they connect with a hammer and they'll come free. Sway bar will come right off. Once that's done and you have the shock bolts/nuts all removed, just let your LCA sag down (Watch your brake lines/wheel speed sensor) and the shock should be able to move a bit so you can see where it's catching. From there just pry it up and it should come up and out pretty easily.

Farmboy876

Reaction score
Remove the top 3 nuts with 15mm. The sway bar requires a backup to keep the bolt from spinning, an impact helps with that. The bottom bolt is a 27mm with 30mm backup. Get a breaker bar or use a “cheater pipe” and it comes off with easy.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys that replaced the factory shocks with new factory shocks, are you replacing the top shock mount/ high hat, or reusing the old one.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys that replaced the factory shocks with new factory shocks, are you replacing the top shock mount/ high hat, or reusing the old one.

I replaced it (my replacements came with them). But I'll reuse the original ones when I rotate back.

By the way, you don't have to remove the sway bar. I just did mine.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced it (my replacements came with them). But I'll reuse the original ones when I rotate back.

By the way, you don't have to remove the sway bar. I just did mine.

Just wondering, didn’t want to pull my front end apart to find out the upper shock mount rubber is shot, I’ve done the work before helping out a couple friends, but the trucks were new at that time, doing mine now at 60,000 and hate to get jambed up over a 100 bucks

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering, didn’t want to pull my front end apart to find out the upper shock mount rubber is shot, I’ve done the work before helping out a couple friends, but the trucks were new at that time, doing mine now at 60,000 and hate to get jambed up over a 100 bucks

Only thing I replaced was my front lower bushings and bolts (new ones from Forged).

Oh, but have fun finding a torque wrench that goes to 406 ft lbs...

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up all 4 shocks from Rock auto for 1348.00 great deal for 4 new factory shocks