Stock Front Shock Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the drivers side done. It took about 4 hours, most of that time spent with trial and error.

Did you remove the sway bar, tie-rod, and upper control arm? Did you allow the spindle and the lower control arm to droop as far as it could go? Remove the top 3 shock nuts and remove the lower shock nut/bolt and it should slide all of the way out. Let me know if you need me to measure my springs to see if someone upgraded your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxxuav

Reaction score
Did you remove the sway bar, tie-rod, and upper control arm? Did you allow the spindle and the lower control arm to droop as far as it could go? Remove the top 3 shock nuts and remove the lower shock nut/bolt and it should slide all of the way out. Let me know if you need me to measure my springs to see if someone upgraded your ride.

Yep, I did all of that. Double and triple checked haha! If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it bud! That one shock kicked my ass.

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ce0d8bf2c27820ba689194745286db52.jpg

Feel free to PM me on the next one if you need some assistance or someone else to scratch their head and say what the f.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I did all of that. Double and triple checked haha! If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it bud! That one shock kicked my ass.

Even if you had an upgraded spring, the shock is only so long. The only thing that can make the overall length longer is if you have a strut spacers at the top.
With strut spacers the easiest way is to compress the spring with spring compressors a bit and use a couple pry bars or big screwdrivers to pop it (the shock) out of the bottom mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you had an upgraded spring, the shock is only so long. The only thing that can make the overall length longer is if you have a strut spacers at the top.
With strut spacers the easiest way is to compress the spring with spring compressors a bit and use a couple pry bars or big screwdrivers to pop it out of the bottom mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great point on if a shock leveling kit is installed. I have used these very successfully without much bending of the rods. Be sure to keep them lubricated.

Post a picture of your next shock and this group can let you know if you have a leveling kit installed and what your options are if you do not want it.

Heavy Duty Spring Compressor Tool (2 Pieces), Ultra Rugged Coil Spring Compressor, Strong and Durable Spring Compressor by Shankly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0UT55Y/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where can I get all the torque settings for ALL the nuts removed changing shocks?? Both front and back too.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I got the drivers side done. It took about 4 hours, most of that time spent with trial and error.

They don't like to come out of the pocket on the LCA for sure. Make sure your UCA and Tie rod are disconnected then sag the LCA as far as it'll go. If you've got a nice size prybar at this point you can get it between the shock and LCA and pry a little and it should pop right out.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would it help to get a couple cheap spring compressors and just take a little of the length out? Maybe like an inch or two??

A couple of the bolt type might save a bunch of strain and they are cheap.