Stock front bumper v.s. aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Currently my 13 has an ADD front bumper from when I purchased the truck. Although it allows a lot of protection and clearance, I'm not extremely happy with the look. I'm debating going back to a stock bumper and adding an SDHQ winch plate behind it with a side of LED fogs. Are there any other aftermarket bumpers that look "stock?"

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always liked that style of bumpers, but most require to cut your frame horn and I could never do that. You'd need to look at your frame horns to see if they were cut to put that bumper on. If it was, you'd need some welded back on. You could work it out in a trade or go to a junk yard to pick some up and a weld shop to install them.

I had an ADD rear bumper on my truck when I bought it. I put it up on craigslist as a sale or trade with cash. A guy traded me for his stock one and gave me cash on top. I was happy and got the bumper I wanted. Between craigslist and offered, you should be able to find a new one and sell yours.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always liked that style of bumpers, but most require to cut your frame horn and I could never do that. You'd need to look at your frame horns to see if they were cut to put that bumper on. If it was, you'd need some welded back on. You could work it out in a trade or go to a junk yard to pick some up and a weld shop to install them.

I had an ADD rear bumper on my truck when I bought it. I put it up on craigslist as a sale or trade with cash. A guy traded me for his stock one and gave me cash on top. I was happy and got the bumper I wanted. Between craigslist and offered, you should be able to find a new one and sell yours.

It's not that I don't like it, it just has no place to mount a winch setup and I'd like to do that. I figured I'd try and trade for a stock bumper and brackets with a little money on top. I'll have to take a look and see if the frame horns were cut. I don't think they were, but haven't looked closely.

D

Deleted member 17706

It's not that I don't like it, it just has no place to mount a winch setup and I'd like to do that. I figured I'd try and trade for a stock bumper and brackets with a little money on top. I'll have to take a look and see if the frame horns were cut. I don't think they were, but haven't looked closely.

The frame horns were cut to run a bumper like that. There is no way you can get a non-frame cut bumper to sit that flush to the valence without cutting the horns. So to go back to stock you would have to weld the frame horns back on, which you probably don't have. I am also not too sure if that is an ADD bumper. ADD does have a frame cut bumper that is similar to that, but their's has a cut out in the skid plate for lights.

Yes, you can't run a winch, but its tough to beat the look of a Gen 1 with a frame cut and dove tail bumpers. In other words, your set up looks 100% better than a stock bumper set up, but hey, that's just me :)

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The frame horns were cut to run a bumper like that. There is no way you can get a non-frame cut bumper to sit that flush to the valence without cutting the horns. So to go back to stock you would have to weld the frame horns back on, which you probably don't have. I am also not too sure if that is an ADD bumper. ADD does have a frame cut bumper that is similar to that, but their's has a cut out in the skid plate for lights.

Yes, you can't run a winch, but its tough to beat the look of a Gen 1 with a frame cut and dove tail bumpers. In other words, your set up looks 100% better than a stock bumper set up, but hey, that's just me :)

Maybe I'll just keep it and have a friend weld the triangular bars on and have it bed linered in the gray color. I think that's maybe what it's missing to look a little more "complete."

TCR 223

Reaction score
Currently my 13 has an ADD front bumper from when I purchased the truck. Although it allows a lot of protection and clearance, I'm not extremely happy with the look. I'm debating going back to a stock bumper and adding an SDHQ winch plate behind it with a side of LED fogs. Are there any other aftermarket bumpers that look "stock?"
ill trade ya! i have a 13 stock bumper and in the market for that same ADD bumper. your frame is cut so you would have to do some welding to get the stock bumper to fit. i was planning to fab up a winch for the rear hitch. still thinking about it.... let me know

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ill trade ya! i have a 13 stock bumper and in the market for that same ADD bumper. your frame is cut so you would have to do some welding to get the stock bumper to fit. i was planning to fab up a winch for the rear hitch. still thinking about it.... let me know

For the amount of work it'll take to bolt on a stock bumper again I'm probably best to just keep what I have. lol