Stock BFG tread life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 42,500 on my OEM KO2's. Checked tread depth this weekend and still have 8/32. I keep the front at 36 to 38 and rears at 32 to 34. Didn't rotate the first time until about 20,000 and have been rotating every 10,000 since. Live in Florida Panhandle with lots of heat and humidity. Had similar experience on a previous set on my '13 SCrew. Got 62,000 on E-Rated 275/65 R 18s.
On my Gen1 I got right at 65k on each of my first two sets of BFG, and just over 60k on third set. On fourth set now.

OP
OP
Flash1034

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the rapid wear, I am happy with the BFGs. They handled snow fair, were pretty quiet, and wore evenly, albeit fast. My tire guy is pushing the Falken Wildpeak on me but I’m Leary about putting an E rated tire on the Raptor. Any thoughts?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok If I put my tin hat on I have a theory. All car mfgs, make deals with suppliers, saving a dollar or 2 on any part is a big deal to mfgs. I wonder if the tires that come on dealer vehicles have slightly more grip but wear faster. I have bought several new vehicles and the tires that came on the cars never last as long as the ones I buy to replace them. I know what that sounds like but I also know the suppliers will alter compounds within limits to reduce costs. As an example, Coke-a-cola, is not just Coke, there are parameters that qualify it as "coke". Bottlers will spend money to buy mass flow meters to allow them to produce "coke" that runs on the qualifying edge to get more cases out of the same amount of concentrate. So maybe tire mfgs run more on the edge making mfg tires and they don't last quite as long, but they have good grip so you buy more when they wear out. Ok, where's the Tylenol?
In general I agree. But the Raptor is the first vehicle I have bought that came with tires you could actually buy at a tire store. Usually it's some piece of crap tire that looks similar to what you can buy. And every single set has been garbage. I'm really happy with the KO2, although I may switch it up this fall.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the rapid wear, I am happy with the BFGs. They handled snow fair, were pretty quiet, and wore evenly, albeit fast. My tire guy is pushing the Falken Wildpeak on me but I’m Leary about putting an E rated tire on the Raptor. Any thoughts?

That will be personal preference. With a higher load rating on a tire almost always comes a stiffer side wall. This generally, but not always, changes the ride quality of the vehicle. The first layer of your suspension is the tire as it will deflect before the shock/spring even starts moving. This is why tire pressure is almost always the first suggestion that someone check when saying their truck has a rough ride. A stiffer sidewall leads to changes in how the tire flexes as well.

All this to say that if you appreciate a firmer ride, a D or E range tire may be for you. Along with the higher load rating, higher tire way may be incurred as well due to the materials required to meet that higher load rating in the tire. Plenty of folks have gone to E range or D range tires on the raptor, it's just personal preference on what tire you like and if you are willing to accept the ride quality change. I am not saying the change would be a negative one however as some folks appreciate a firmer tire and claim the C rated BFG is too soft / squirmy.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The original BFG KO tires that came on my 2012 Raptor lasted me 44K miles. I replaced them with KO2's and they havent been even close to lasting the same. I now have a tick under 61K miles on my truck and they are wearing extremely fast. I cant wait to get rid of them. I just dont know what to replace them with.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 18's had 32k on them when I got rid of it for the 21'. I think I could have made it another 5k. they sure were getting loud though.

Last edited:

tgrayson

Reaction score
I have 41,000 miles on my stock KO2s put on in 2017 and it looks like I have another 8,000 miles left before replacing with another set. Tire wear comes down to driving style and tire maintenance. One person can go through a set of tires in 5,000 miles and another can get 50,000 miles out of the same tire.

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 27k and mine look to go 40k easy. But there are a lot of variables involved. Production lot, local roads, temperatures, inflation, cornering aggression, etc. We've got crappy roads, but lower temperatures, I watch my inflation, and I drive like I'm in a pickup and not a sports car ...
Keep them rotated and correct air pressure

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I’m only gonna get 30k out of my stock BFG tires. I’m not hot ridding around much either. Is this normal?

thanks,
New BFG’s go on this coming weekend on my 2019. Still running original BFG’s at 52k miles. They’ve taken me from Florida to Moab, UT twice and have put up with lots of my shenanigans without issue. Well worth the cost and Ford price matched a deal I found online $1296 out the door.