"Sticky" stearing issue after heavy sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

teeoster

Need help to figure this one out on my 2017. We were wheeling the truck yesterday at Bull Gap hill climb area and the stearing is having some issues. The stearing has a sticky feel to it. Hard to describe but if you make slight adjustments while going down the highway it just stay in that direction until you manually turn it back.

Nothing looks bent or broken with the suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, spindles...etc.

The stearing rack has very slight wiggle to it when I move the wheel back and forth. Almost like it is rubber mounted. Is this normal? Also on the top of the rack where the input shaft goes in there appears to be something wrong with the casting...I'm going to post a video and picture to show these issues.

Any help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated??
Are there known issues with the electric power stearing units?

20200809_111932.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The steering gear is mounted in bushings, so some deflection is normal when changing steering direction.

As far as the steering sticking, you may have a worn ball joint or tie rod end. To check, lift the front of the truck off the ground and steer the wheels back and forth by hand (engine & ignition off). If you can feel it sticking, isolate the causal component by disconnecting the tie rod ends one at a time.

OP
OP
T

teeoster

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have done all this and could not find anything wrong. It was driving fine again after and all of a sudden it started doing it again. Very noticeable sticking in one position or another, it took reasonable force to get the wheel to move to another position and it would stick there. Shut the truck off and drove again a few minutes later and it was fine again! I read other F150's are having this issue and even seen some youtube videos of it. Pretty crazy, I have not seen anyone describe the issue but it almost seems like an electrical problem????

Last edited by a moderator: