Sticking with Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone makes it seem like the interior is a night and day difference, but I really don’t get it. My close friend has a 22 Tremor, which is basically the same inside, and I’ve had the chance to drive several Gen 3’s now. The bigger screen and infotainment is utterly lost on me, couldn’t care less. Aside from that, the interior to me is same same, but different. Different materials and look, but I really don’t feel like it’s any different in build quality or luxury, it’s just an aesthetic update in my opinion.

I have a 20 with only 15k, and since CA has no sales tax credits on trades, I’d spend at least 30k to upgrade, which just isn’t worth it to me. Once my Gen 2 has a lot more miles and wear, and adm’s are gone, I might consider it then. The only difference I care about is the rear suspension. The exhaust is cool too, but pretty happy with the Gen 2 and SPD mid pipe.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't convince myself that an upgrade was worth the $$$. The Gen 3 has a nice interior and I'd love the rear suspension but my Gen 2 is paid for and has ESP warranty till 125K currently sitting at 80K). Once the warranty expires, I might look for a Gen 3 and hope to find a slightly used one at a reasonable price so I can put another ESP warranty on it. I'm rough on my truck (desert runs, Baja, etc) so the warranty is especially important. It has paid for itself multiple times already

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just traded my 2017 for a barely used 2022 with 1800 miles. The exterior is very similar and most non-Raptor owners may not even notice the differences from a casual observation. The power opening and closing tailgate is nice. The interior on the Gen3 is the biggest upgrade IMO. I like the Sync4 improvements - much larger screen, wireless carplay. The all digital dash is nice and I like the addition of charged air temp gauge. The power folding gear selector and the large fold-open workspace is nice for laptop or tablet use. I'm very happy that the 2022 has the auto start-stop deleted as I despise that "feature".

I didn't like how much more expensive it was than my Gen2 and I wasn't going to buy a 2023 at those prices and not have heated steering wheel. My Gen2 also needed cam phaser repair take-2 and leaky plastic oil pan replacement. I decided to trade and have a vehicle under warranty again because I am sure going to need it.

Did you say closing tailgate? Pardon me whilst I find extra money...

1679937125014.png

STHenry

Reaction score
I looked at the 2023 as my truck is 5 years old now. As many have said the interior upgrade is okay and I would like to have the updated rear suspension but figure the live valves and e-click will be a nice upgrade for a few more years.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the looks of the Gen 2 better. Didn't like the wheels on my '19 so I updated to 2022 wheels and the charcoal gray inset looks much better on the Ruby Red with charcoal fender flares. 55,000 miles on the '19, runs good, no issues to speak of and it's also paid for!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
One of the things i really like about the Gen 3, as far as I can tell it doesn't skip gears when shifting and it is overall much smoother. Sport mode shifts feel legit and doesn't slam into 5th gear. The HP may be the same on paper but the 3 is much peppier.

Being able to run the exhaust in baja around town is a riot, then I can switch it to quiet when I get tired of it.

I prefer the Gen 2 seats though, they seemed to fit me a little better.

Rptrrob702

Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple... If you have the money to afford a Gen 3, it's the best stock raptor you can buy. You can get a used gen 2 for nearly half the price of a new gen 3 and have it be 90% of the truck the new Gen 3 is. The Gen 3 is a more refined experience when it comes to the motor/ transmission/ suspension. That's just my opinion.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the things i really like about the Gen 3, as far as I can tell it doesn't skip gears when shifting and it is overall much smoother. Sport mode shifts feel legit and doesn't slam into 5th gear. The HP may be the same on paper but the 3 is much peppier.
The MPT tune on my Gen2 really smoothed out the gears and stopped it from skipping gears and all the hard shifts, I also gained 75 HP on 93 octane

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The MPT tune on my Gen2 really smoothed out the gears and stopped it from skipping gears and all the hard shifts, I also gained 75 HP on 93 octane
I had a goosetuned cobb for a short period with trans programming. I didn't skip shift but it did not change the rough shifts.