GEN 1 Stereo whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, after driving all morning I found the issue is somehow heat related. It started about 2 hours into the trip. After truck being off for a couple of hours, it was gone again. Amp cooling fans?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
LOL! Might have come on sooner - I was jammin!! I'll pay more attention coming back

well.. SHYEAH. that’s why we upgrade the stereo in the first place. but now you have to go quiet for a little while. Try putting on something you won’t normally listen to like smooth jazz, news, what have you, keep it at low, low, low volume. Turn the fan (ac/heat) off completely, windows up for some quiet time and repeat as needed until you hear it.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, another clue.... I can use the AUX switch to turn off the sub amp so I can eliminate that one. Turn the head unit off, main amp still on - noise

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here is the latest - the processor is a Kicker Front Row and amps are JL. After driving for 2 hours, the whine begins to come in getting louder for about the next 15 minutes. I can kill the sub amp with a switch so I eliminated that easily. Head unit on or off, no difference. I can lay my hand on both amps and they are about the same temperature and not too hot to keep your hand on - I will check temp on them today to see how hot they get. Since it sounds perfect during that first 2 hours, I doubt it is the grounds, but will double check. I suspect the processor is mounted under the console and from what I can see on line looking at the manual, it probably has no fan. I think heat is the enemy here on that processor. I'll try to find it's location and do some more checking. Thanks for all the help!!!!