Stereo Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t compare an elite brand like focal to a mass produced brand like infinity.

Focal, morel, hertz, Audio frog.... different level.

OP
OP
R

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t compare an elite brand like focal to a mass produced brand like infinity.

Focal, morel, hertz, Audio frog.... different level.

Thanks Guy, I appreciate the feedback. The person I talked to today at a local shop was pushing the Infinity’s, my guess is he can’t get the others or he has the Infinity’s in stock. Either way I am not going to settle.

Thanks again.

jwrueda

Reaction score
That sounds like a great setup, congrats. I agree I don't want to lose my under seat strorage either. I assume the VX1000 is to power the subs?
They vx800 runs the front 3 ways each in its own channel (so 6 there) and the center, the vx1000 runs the rears and the subs. These amps are so customizable, you can assign any frequency to any channel combo to eliminate the passive crossovers plus bridge channels, etc. The result is really clean sound with a ton of tuning ability. I just had my shop buy the mobile toys rear box and they installed the rest. The Blam speakers are another good value. The company was created by the former Focal engineering lead and provides great quality at a competitive price point...

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my system in my 18 Raptor (Screw) I have been reading many post in the forum and trying to get my head wrapped around it all. Lots of choices, maybe to many. Based on what others have said here I called Mobile Toys and got a quote for a system. I would welcome any advise or other recommendations. I listen to Heavy Metal and Hard Rock about 80% of the time. I have attached a list of speakers, subs, etc that was recommended.

Would this be a good setup or should I be looking at other options?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The only thing I see is your paying to much for the rear speakers. There no need for that expensive of a speaker for rear fill. It also depends on your goals. For me I want it like I’m at a concert and the stage is on my dash.

I just heard back from Mobile Toys about my box. I’m wanting to run three 12’s under the rear seat. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on that and a set of A-pillars from them to run a 3 way setup up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I see is your paying to much for the rear speakers. There no need for that expensive of a speaker for rear fill. It also depends on your goals. For me I want it like I’m at a concert and the stage is on my dash.

I just heard back from Mobile Toys about my box. I’m wanting to run three 12’s under the rear seat. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on that and a set of A-pillars from them to run a 3 way setup up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would agree with the rears in these trucks, especially given the low location in the kickpanel...you're never going to get more than fill from there, so save some money there.

On the speakers, for the money he's spending, yeah, I'd go with something better than Infinitys. But, let's not act like many of the brands named above don't also mass-produce, and many in China for many products. You can certainly make expensive speakers sound not so great with poor tuning/timing/imaging, so try and pick an installer you have confidence in.

NASTY RAPTOR

Reaction score
Yep like we both said. That’s a $450 set of rear coaxial’s. I do like nice gear and it does last. I’m replacing a set of Focal Utopia I’ve had for almost 16 years. So in a way you do get what you pay for. I was going to go with Utopia’s this time, but I can’t see paying $4500 for 6 speakers. I’m thinking about picking up Audio Frog this time 6”,2.5”, and 1” tweeter. I’m really debating on what subs to go with, but I’m unsure if I can get the cuft for 3 12TW3’s under the rear seat. There under seat box is just over 1.7cuft

OP before I side track you. Have you listened to a shallow sub setup before? In a Raptor? You can’t go wrong with having MTI do your setup. They know there stuff. I’d see where you can save some $$ like we stated above and pull the trigger if it will make you happy. I used to live and breathe car audio and have no problem spending my hard earned money on it. At the end of the day, do what you can afford and what makes you happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for taking the time to post info and ideas. Some very knowledgable people on here and I appreciate people taking the time to talk about it and share their knowledge. There is a lot to think about. Want to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it for a while. So many mods I want to do but this one is highest on the priority list. I am going to try and enjoy the journey instead of getting stressed out about it.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my system in my 18 Raptor (Screw) I have been reading many post in the forum and trying to get my head wrapped around it all. Lots of choices, maybe to many. Based on what others have said here I called Mobile Toys and got a quote for a system. I would welcome any advise or other recommendations. I listen to Heavy Metal and Hard Rock about 80% of the time. I have attached a list of speakers, subs, etc that was recommended.

Would this be a good setup or should I be looking at other options?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I am going with a similar set-up except I am going with MTI’s single behind the seat 13.5” box for the JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 powered by a xd600/1v2 along with Focal Flax 6.5" component front and Focal Flax 6.5" coaxial rear powered by a vx600/6i with SoundSkins dampening for doors and a NavTV interface. I will let you know how it sounds.

OP
OP
R

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with a similar set-up except I am going with MTI’s single behind the seat 13.5” box for the JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 powered by a xd600/1v2 along with Focal Flax 6.5" component front and Focal Flax 6.5" coaxial rear powered by a vx600/6i with SoundSkins dampening for doors and a NavTV interface. I will let you know how it sounds.

Are you doing the install yourself?