Steering wheel shaking and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I welded a bolt head to a nut, not sure if it was an exact 27mm but close enough, something like a 7/8" or 1" bolt (so 20mm or 22mm diameter bolt maybe?)...
1 1/16th

OP, I would just remove that lower steering shaft with the swivels on it and when it is off, check for looseness, especially in the lower joint, seems to be the common culprit.

983_SK425366_putaway_1__ra_p.jpg

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, 1-1/16"=27mm, for the bolt head diameter but they sell them by the bolt thread diameter...and the charts I found online aren't always right for what size wrench (and thus the head, the part that matters here) fits what size bolt diameter. So measure (twice) before cutting/welding haha!

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do that, check the rotors and inspect the alignment. I’m really leaning to the part that maybe the rack and pinion doesn’t have enough compression and just needs and adjustment since i put the new one is more loose and I think that is not normal. (I changed it because it had play)
alignment wont cause a shake. Rotors, wheel tweaked or tires.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
alignment wont cause a shake. Rotors, wheel tweaked or tires.
front tires are good the rear ones are a little staggered but this was before new uca, lca and tie rods and shocks. maybe a bad rotor since when I off road and hit the breaks it shakes more and creates more vibration (rotors have 10k miles and that looseness started before the rotors) could be also a bad wheel but they have been rotated so if the bad wheel was in the front or back who knows but it doesn’t matter which wheel is in the front it creates the same symptoms. Taking the air bag out tomorrow to check the steering bolt.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
front tires are good the rear ones are a little staggered but this was before new uca, lca and tie rods and shocks. maybe a bad rotor since when I off road and hit the breaks it shakes more and creates more vibration (rotors have 10k miles and that looseness started before the rotors) could be also a bad wheel but they have been rotated so if the bad wheel was in the front or back who knows but it doesn’t matter which wheel is in the front it creates the same symptoms. Taking the air bag out tomorrow to check the steering bolt.
it seems that everything points out for the upper shaft that has some play. Will keep updating

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should I use OEM upper steering shaft or borgeson? Borgeson claims that their product reduces vibration.
What vibration? I don't have any vibration. I would stick with oem, unless you want your raptor to ride like a cadillac, I like to feel the road with my hands.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
What vibration? I don't have any vibration. I would stick with oem, unless you want your raptor to ride like a cadillac, I like to feel the road with my hands.
heavy shakiness that i’m receiving on my steering. I uploaded some videos on this threat but don’t know if you guy can see them.