Steering wheel shaking and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going straight letting go the wheel just means toe settings are matched left and right, like +1/16 on both sides for +1/8 total toe... What is the toe on each side? +/- as well

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rgr on not having the settings, sry, if everything is tight the my guess is your too toe out, positive... Also, what do you run the front tire pressure at...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010, i did try it and still does the same. my worries are the loose steering it was loose before I changed the rack and pinion last year (it’s cardone remanufactured now) since then it’s have been even more loose and putting all new suspension components didn’t changed anything just better ride quality overall but still play. maybe loose steering shaft? steering bolt? adjust the preload on the rack? i have 120k miles

how much play in the steering wheel, i.e. how far does it clock left and right without any movement in the front end. If there is a bunch of play without any rack movement then the problem is either a bad/loose universal joint on the steering shaft or too much lash in the rack... the later can be adjusted with a 27mm allen key/wrench... there are some videos on how to do this on a F150 without removing the rack. Since the steering rack has been replaced, I would look at the locking bolt on the steering shaft universal joint... if loose, you can get a fair amount of steering wheel play...
This:
Worth trying even on a reman rack...

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did you swap springs... While progressive these springs are not softer in my experience, their magic off-road, but they give my raptor a bit of an f250 ride over road irregularities but if you take a railroad crossing at speed, in SC they are like jumps, they are magic on landing... If the springs were done same time, may be part of difference you sense

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
My tires are at 35-38 don’t remember all of them. The springs went in with new shocks. I was off roading today to do some testing and i put pressure up the steering and it stoped the shaking almost all but could feel the vibration like something is loose from the steering shaft to the steering bolt just like a really strange feeling don’t know if that makes sense

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I welded a bolt head to a nut, not sure if it was an exact 27mm but close enough, something like a 7/8" or 1" bolt (so 20mm or 22mm diameter bolt maybe?)...