Steering wheel shakes after the power steering pump was replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cahek65

Reaction score
Hi, Guys! I need your advice.
I replaced the high pressure hose that leaked steering fluid on my 2013 Raptor. Then reassembled the system and did several complete revolutions of steering wheel from one end to another before adding more fluid.
After these routines I felt that my steering wheel started shaking especially in positions that are a half revolution before the end points in both ways. Never had that problem before...
Then I installed a new power steering pump, but these vibrations have remained, occurring in system regardless of whether the truck stands still or drives.
Did anyone have these issues?
May the problem be the worn intermediate shaft coupler?

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my third pump and third rack and I've never had shaking. I feel like shaking starts in the wheels or suspension, not the steering, especially on a mechanical steering system. I'm just trying to think about what would cause a shake from the steering; the only thing I can come up with is air in the line where it is hitting different resistances (air vs. oil), but that should bleed itself out pretty quick unless you have a leak letting in new air. When you bleed it out, jack up the front wheels, start the motor, then turn the wheel left to right, getting closer to lock each time.

I did have the collar that holds the steering column where it passes through the firewall break. It caused a clanking noise as the column hit the firewall, and generally looser feeling steering. This is why I replaced my first rack and it wasn't until it was done that I realized it wasn't actually the rack that was bad.

Sorry, I know this probably is of no help.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you should do what @jondle just said, jack up the front end and work the wheel back and forth, check your fittings for tightness. It must be cavitation if it's doing it in Park. At least it's worth a try. Check your fluid during the process and look for leaks.

OP
OP
C

cahek65

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I will try to bleed air out. I am thinking whether it could be a possible defect in the high pressure hose that I installed. I just noticed that with the engine being cold within a couple minutes after the engine start, the steering functions perfectly smooth. But once the oil temperature raises, I get these annoying vibrations when turning the steering wheel