Steering Wheel Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bcs may be they are "new". This type of tires are often out of balance (even new), morever after years and lots of miles driving a lot off road sometimes at low pressure...

If that's the case, then there isn't really a way to fix the shimmy except new tires...

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Eibach springs with methods and K02 37s. Has them rebalanced (road force) at discount tire. It helped a little bit but there’s still a slight steering wheel shake at 60-65+. It’s annoying. Might take it back again and have them check balance again and then swap wheels front to back and see what happens.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My 37" KO2's are buttery smooth at all speeds. Find a better balancer.
Look how many weights there are on your stock wheels. All 4.
If that's the case, then there isn't really a way to fix the shimmy except new tires...
See above.
thats where i‘m at currently. had them balanced 3 times… its gotten better but haven‘t gotten rid of the issue completely.
Discount Tire gets them to balance on the R/F machine, but you still need to test drive and they generally don’t do that. They’re great at getting to 90-98% of factory. But if you have some problem child tires - I have 2 that I know of where we’re at about 90% but it’s enough for those stinkers to cause the wheel shake - then you have to push back and have the tech dig further and try harder.
I have the same issue. Eibach springs with methods and K02 37s. Has them rebalanced (road force) at discount tire. It helped a little bit but there’s still a slight steering wheel shake at 60-65+. It’s annoying. Might take it back again and have them check balance again and then swap wheels front to back and see what happens.

Discount will do a lifetime balance, so you can take them back and get them right. You may need to take a day and sit while they work on the tires, you test, return & give feedback. It’s the ONLY way you’ll get close to a factory ride.

Again, look at how many weights are on your factory wheels as delivered. You’re not going to go from 20 ounces of weight down to 8 ounces and have a perfect balance.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look how many weights there are on your stock wheels. All 4.

See above.

Discount Tire gets them to balance on the R/F machine, but you still need to test drive and they generally don’t do that. They’re great at getting to 90-98% of factory. But if you have some problem child tires - I have 2 that I know of where we’re at about 90% but it’s enough for those stinkers to cause the wheel shake - then you have to push back and have the tech dig further and try harder.

Discount will do a lifetime balance, so you can take them back and get them right. You may need to take a day and sit while they work on the tires, you test, return & give feedback. It’s the ONLY way you’ll get close to a factory ride.

Again, look at how many weights are on your factory wheels as delivered. You’re not going to go from 20 ounces of weight down to 8 ounces and have a perfect balance.

Uhhh I don't know about the factory wheels and tires (they're buried in the back of a shed, but i'm curious enougj I may dig them out haha), but I just looked at my aftermarket 17's and 37" KO2's and they don't have much weight on them. Couple ounces on 3 wheels, one has roughly double so 6-7 ounces max, and they're balanced as well as the factory wheels and tires (which is very good)

As a note, I have had out of round KO2's in the past (i've had 2 out of round tires in probably 20 sets of KO2's (so 2 out of ~80 tires, a 2.5% failure rate- actually much higher than I would expect). (I've also had an out of round Falken AT3W out of ~5 sets of those.

I'd also like to point out that on every set of Falkens they've balanced in the end, but the tire shop I use comments at least one of the AT3W's were challenging to get to balance. Had to spin the tire on the rim multiple times per tire to get a good balance. The benefits of finding a good tire shop that cares.

Note: I say out of round but really I mean a tire that won't balance- usually caused by an out of round tire but can also be an issue with the belts, etc etc etc. Tire shop replaces it and the replacement balances perfectly, as do the other ones.

Last edited:

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for those who want absolutly avoid vibration ( I am one of those) , make a balance of the wheel whithout tire (you could be surprise that a wheel alone is out, morever whene it's not OEM) , I am not sure 37" is the best to avoid vibration , 35" seem easier to balance , and KO2 , may not the best choice of tire too ...And finally , among me, after all that, check alignement , bcs wrong alignement give vibration !!!

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put new OEM 37's on mine with KMC's couple weeks back and it's been a nightmare. So far to get 4 KO2 to balance it's taken 7 tires, as in 3 of the seven were out of round. This is coming from a high end off road shop with all new Hunter equipment. Also, per Hunter anything above 35" should not be road forced because the tire has too much squirm. It can be done but isn't the optimal way, this speaking directly to Hunter as I've been chasing balancing issues. Ironically, BFG likes to have Road Force number prior to warrantying a tire. I still have a shimmy in mine so looks like I will be going back a 3rd time. Ran into same issue in my AT4 with Toyo AT3's. I'm not sure what is going on with tire manufactures lately but having this many be out of round is ridiculous!